Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Birthday Gift

I am 58 today.

That sounds almost inconceiveable to me since I still feel like the 20-something young woman in so many ways....until I look in the mirror and see some of those little visible signs that one can't ignore. : )

It is strange how age just kinds of creeps up on us when we aren't paying attention.

Being a grandma has made me even more aware of the passage of time and the new, almost surreal, role that I am now in. How can I be a grandmother when I was just a new mother????..........

oh. That was 32 YEARS AGO!

It is interesting that all of the brightly wrapped gifts with the curled ribbons, while so appreciated, must take a back seat this year to the greatest birthday gift of all....my new little Owen.

sigh : )

1 comment:

Jana said...

So nice to see in print what I was feeling when I held my granddaughter for the first few times... feeling my age and the passage of time.
My baby is 24 now.. I still remember when she went to kindergarten. I was telling a client the other day about her graduation from kindergarten, her happy face and her paper graduation cap.. marching to the graduation processional...now she's a mother. wow..
I hope you opened your birthday presents and got something sexy to make you feel young again...maybe a brown-haired tennis instructor?
=-D