Monday, September 24, 2007

Football Season is upon us....

Dave gives new meaning to the term, "competitive" sports.

I have met the competition and I can tell you with all sincerity, I don't stand a chance.

As the leaves begin to change and their is a slight coolness in the air....(well, not sure about the "coolness" part quite yet--it is going up to the 90's again today!)...all of the "armchair athletes" get in shape for the season.

Remote control batteries are checked, calendars are marked with game days and times...social events are generally spent situated in front of televisions...as numerous chips and dips are readied for consumption.

Living in the heart of "football country", most Alabamians are geared up for the Alabama and Auburn games for the next few months. This is serious stuff here as weddings are planned so as to avoid big-game weekends. People walk around with their team colors ablaze...homes are adorned with wooden cut-out mascots on the front yards...and team flags fly from car windows!

I have learned that the very best time to go to the Mall and get some shopping done is during one of the games. The stores are literally empty...with the exception of the other "football widows" who have escaped from the cheering crowds in their homes.

I remember hearing about a woman who couldn't get some much-needed attention from her hubby during gametime. She had tried everything...including nudity....all to no avail. Before giving up, she decided to put on a football uniform as she strutted in front of the tv. This actually temporarily got his eyes away from the screen and she was able to talk to him once he stopped laughing.

One thing that really cracks me up about Dave and his sports addiction is this:

On game day he will read about the upcoming games in the newspaper as well as his Sport's Illustrated.

Prior to the game he will check out the stats on his computer and get up-to-date predictions.

The game starts and goes until half-time where a group of ex-football players will be televised going over the game that was just played.

As the games end, another group will discuss the events of the competition play by play including showing highlites of the action.

And, finally, he will read about it all over again in the next day's newspaper!

Well, the way I see it I will have to try and get my conversations in during commercials....or sometime between football season and the start of basketball season....of course that is followed by baseball season.......and, when that ends the new football season begins again....

rah rah?

*SIGH*

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Oh, I love footbal season. My husband was not the sports enthusiast that I am. I like football and baseball.

My son went to Penn State, so I've formed a loyalty to that school. I spend Saturdays during the season with the faithful here in Florida who gather at a sports bar in Sarasota to watch the games. I wouldn't miss it.

Not having gone to school in Florida, even though I'm a native, I haven't ever had a loyalty to any of the Florida schools, but now USF has an up and coming program, and I am getting quite excited for them.