Monday, September 03, 2007

I'm home...

I hope that you can bear with me for the next few days.

I will try not to get too carried away with pictures and stories....

but....

...it was an incredible first birthday weekend with my family and Owen and I have tons of pictures and stories....(What a surprise, eh?).

It had only been a month since last seeing him....and, yet, the changes were already so obvious. He is starting to look more like a little boy as he loses some of his "baby" features.

So, let me begin....As soon as I landed on Thursday, I took a cab from the airport to the Hilton to pick up Owen's other grandmother, Mimi, (who flew in from St. Louis with Poppie)...and then the two of us headed to General Mill's Day Care to pick up Owen!

Unfortunately, the cab driver didn't really know his way around (!!)...didn't speak much English (!!).... and, so this five mile drive to the Airport Hilton took a lot longer than it should have as we pretty much drove in circles....The hotel was in sight, but he couldn't seem to find the road that would take us there. By the time we got there, the meter was already over $17.

By the time the driver got us to General Mill's we were over $50 in cab fare.

But, knowing what was ahead, we had to laugh as we quickly paid him and made our way inside.

Security is very tight at General Mills so we had to wait until my son came down and got us....we presented our id's and got our badges...and walked as quickly as we could to the Day Care area and the birthday boy.

Of course there was some trepidation as he caught site of the two crazy grandma's (we are called "The Screaming Greemies" as you combine "Grammie" and "Mimi"!) coming toward him.

"Do you think that he remembers us?", we both queried as we approached this precious child.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I kept checking to see if you had posted, and here you are.

Too cute! It is amazing the difference a month makes, isn't it. Ella had changed so much in a month's time also. I'm getting geared up to go spend the month of October with her now.

Interesting...I'm Grammy, but my daughter called my mother Mimi. Her other grandmother was Grandma. That is what she wanted to be called, but my mother waiting for Sarah to come up with her name.

David told me the other night that after she heard my voice on the phone she went over to my picture and picked it up. Now if you don't think that melts me. Her mother said sometimes that she picks it up and walks around with it.

Looking forward to more from you.

L. said...

Oh, Beverly.....I am "melting" with you!

I bet that you are counting the days until October! How wonderful that you have a visit coming up. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks for checking on me...
Take care,
Grammie : )

always abby said...

the photos of Owen are fabulous.....I can't wait to see him......you are a wonderful grammie and a wonderful mother to your boys....what a gift you gave them with your generosity this trip......love you......always abby

Jana said...

Amazing how much he's changed in just a year. I'm glad you get to spend as much time as you do with him, and so happy for ME that I get to see Fay whenever I get across the bridge. Talking of pictures as Abby was doing reminded me to tell you that Fay looks at pictures on the walls out here at my house and recognizes her mommy and daddy and points to herself and says That's Fay!! Owen looks quite a bit like Daddy, but there's so much of Jenny in his face too, what a handsome guy! Love the looks of that great daycare place too!
Oh - and even though it's too late, that cab driver took you for a "ride", common "error" with little English and don't know where he's going--phooey...