Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Birthday Queen

"Queen Bette"!!!!
Back home in Bham today looking through some of the photos that were taken at my mom's 85th birthday.....and smiling.

I love this particular picture and think that she looks like royalty...don't you? : ) She was quite the good sport to allow us to "crown" her with this huge birthday hat...She kept it on for a while until it got a little too heavy to wear.

The party was so lovely and my mom's friends all seemed to have had a great time. Since my mom loves puzzles and games, this was the "theme". Each of the guests were given a packet of "Bette themed" games that one of my sisters put together. (I come from a very talented family!) She had created a personalized "Jumble" game as well as a crossword puzzle and a cryptogram with all of the answers having to do with my mom. Oh, and I can't forget the B-E-T-T-E (Bingo) game that the women loved and didn't want to stop playing. There were prizes (puzzle books) involved and they all really got quite competitive. I loved watching them!!

Since I live out of town, my two local sisters did the hard work....and work they did! Every detail was beautifully carried out...from the food to the flowers to the games to the gifts and favors. Even the M and M's were in my mom's favorite colors!

The four sisters did a little skit that brought the house down................... !

Well, maybe not quite that good....but, they did seem to enjoy it and laugh at the right parts! This is another one of those traditions that we seem to always do at our family celebrations...we all moan and groan about writing something....but then love it when it is presented.

As my plane landed back in Birmingham late last night, I was totally exhausted, and, while happy to be back home in my own bed.....I found myself already missing being with my parents and sisters....but totally filled with beautiful memories to keep me going until we are all together again....

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Your mother looks so sweet and is so pretty too. I know how you feel about missing family when everyone goes home. They probably miss you too.