Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Why do I always do this?"

For those of you who know me well, this true story won't come as much of a surprise.

After a doctor's appointment yesterday, I headed to Costco to fill up my car with ga$.

I pulled up to the pump and got ready to insert my membership card into the slot...but, I couldn't seem to find my Costco card anywhere in my wallet.

In my frustration, I spotted a Costco employee nearby with is back to me.

"Sir, Sir!" I called out.

No reply.

"Sir, Sir!!" I again called out louder and with a little more force.

Again, no reply.

How could he not hear me? He was just a few feet away!

One last effort and the "gentleman" turned in my direction...ONLY....

"he" was a "SHE"!

So, I apologized and quickly changed to "m'am". (I am a Southerner ya know!)

I felt terrible about this mistaken gender identity....but, as I told her the problem, I somehow found my card stuck behind another credit card.

Issue resolved....BUT....

As I pulled away with my car now filled with ga$, I approached the Costco employee....rolled down my window AND....

...(here is what I always tend to do) still feeling so badly for mistaking her for a man (ok, she did have very short hair, broad shoulders and a touch of a moustache) I said, "I want you to know that you are a very attractive woman...and again I'm so sorry for my mistake. I couldn't help but notice the puzzled look on her face as I drove away.....

I tend to go overboard to make someone feel better instead of just leaving well enough alone....

"Why do I always do this?!!!!"

Aaaargh.....

Oh well, have a nice day and be careful who you call "Sir"!

1 comment:

JeanMac said...

I think it's happened to all of us - and we all go overboard trying to compensate!vqgfq