Sunday, November 09, 2008

...of flags and foliage....

When the house was painted several years ago....the flag holder was removed and never put back up. It was one of those things that you keep talking about doing...but, never seem to get around to doing...

Well, Dave did it for me today and it looks great! I don't know about you, but I get the best feeling when I see the American flag flying...and, now I have it right out my front door. Ahh.

**************************************************************************

Then there are these glorious leaves that are blazing with incredible colors these days. Every time that I see a gorgeous tree adorned with its new fall coat, I always wish that I had my camera with me. Today, I did...and, I snapped some of the splendiferous beauty that is all around me. Then, when Dave and I took a walk this morning, we picked up some of the variety of colors of leaves on the ground (ok, truth be told...we picked a couple off of the actual trees) and I made the heart of leaves above.

I know. I am so corny sometimes....but, I can't help it.

**************************************************************************

Speaking of Dave, my "part time personal chef" (ha)...he did it again last night as he closed off the kitchen and went to work making dinner for me. The menu this time was pork tenderloin that he rubbed with a home-made dry rub of seasonings and grilled; bowtie noodles cooked with portabello mushrooms in a wine sauce; and, fresh stringbeans with onions and cheddar. Mmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmmm. Delish. Tonight is leftover night...and I can't wait.

**************************************************************************

I never posted about the girlie game night last week. It was such fun. I had heard about the game "LCR" and had ordered it online. I waited expectedly for the package to arrive and when it did I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a little tube about the size of a pill container with three dice and 8 chips inside. I kept looking in the envelope for something more...but, that was the game!

Anyway, everyone starts with $3 (or 3 quarters, dimes or pennies...whatever) and takes a turn rolling the dice. Every time it lands on "L" you pass your money to the left, "R" to the right, "C" to the center (the pot), and a dot means that you don't have to do anything. Then it is the next person's turn...and so on and so on. Eventually everyone is out of money except for one person and they win the pot! We laughed a lot (the wine helped!)and had a great time.

It's a lot of "mindless" fun...and easy to pack when you travel!

**************************************************************************

I'm always with one or both of my sons for Thanksgiving...but, this year things didn't seem to be working out for us all to be together...and, I was feeling pretty bummed about it. We normally do a "rotation" of sorts with everyone traveling to a different place alternating years...but, it was just not going to be this time. Knowing that I would be seeing Jeffrey, Janet and Celia in December...I started to just toy with the idea of making the flight up to MN...took a deep breath....threw caution (and my finances) to the wind...and I made a reservation! I will head up there the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...and Dave will arrive on Thursday morning....with both of us heading home early Monday. As an extra bonus, one of my sisters will be joining us up there.

"Family"......there's nothing like it! : )

**************************************************************************

Mom turned 86 on the 5th of this month. My two sisters living down in Florida gave her a little birthday luncheon. I was sorry that I couldn't be there...I will see them all in January. I sent her one of those clear bags with places for pictures and filled them with all of her great grandbabies. I figured that she could put her knitting in the bag and show them off to all of the ladies at the "Home".

**************************************************************************

I hope that you are all having a lovely autumn day wherever you may be.

xoxo

Grammie : )

3 comments:

Winifred said...

That's a lovely posting, thanks for it.

I like your flag. Here in the UK very few people put a flag out unless there's an England international footie match. Then it's generally a flag of St George not a Union Jack. I wonder whether we're not very patriotic nowadays or if we're just not showing it.

Might be partly due to the extreme right wing British National Party hijacking the flag and we don't want to be associated with them. Could be time to reclaim the Union Jack!

Have a lovely holiday with your family.

JeanMac said...

I love your flag, leaves and your post! Glad you will be with family.

Beverly said...

Those photos are gorgeous! I'm so glad you;re getting to go see Owen and Audrey for Thanksgiving (their parents too.)

Ella and her paretns are coming New Year's Day. Yippee!