Saturday, July 29, 2006

I will be heading to the beach tomorrow for a five day "Girlie Trip"...(ahhhh) I can't wait! These getaways always prove to be not only relaxing, but full of laughter. Of course, some of the funniest parts of travel occur before I even leave...If you could see what I pack, you would think that I was going to be on a remote island somewhere instead of in a rather large coastal city surrounded by all of the necessary amenities.

I don't know what happens to me when I go through this ritual...but I am suddenly packing for survival! I take enough first aid supplies to make the Red Cross proud.....band aids, Neosporin, bug sprays, hydrogen peroxide, knee braces, sunscreen, "too much sun" aloe vera products, lotions and potions galore, etc. etc. I am ready for anything!

Then there is this thing that happens where I like to have "choices" in my clothing..again, just in case....Maybe a cold front will suddenly appear on the Gulf Coast in the middle of the summer and I will need something with a sleeve...or, it may be sooo hot that I will need to change clothing several times a day...or.....? I question whether I will need something a little dressy...or just casual clothing? So, I pack both. Walking clothes, bathing suits, cover-ups...the list goes on and on.

And, what about shoes? I wouldn't dare go away without enough shoes for any occasion! Then there is the issue of a few extra purses to coordinate with the shoes.

And, don't forget the hats....baseball hats for my morning walks as well as straw hats in all shapes and sizes for the day on the beach.

Now, I can't go away with the Girlies without packing some games: Scrabble, Uno, card games, and, lest we forget, Boggle. Whether we actually play them or not is irrelevant. I am prepared!

Oh, and I must take my laptop and all of the necessary cables with me so that I can continue writing in my blog while I'm away.

I pack my knitting and lots of extra yarn....I take magazines galore as well as a couple of books-one deep psychological read that will make for great introspective conversation with the Girlies...and one fluffy beach book.

Oh, and the food! Homemade goodies always taste better when you are away....I'll pack some fresh fruit....sandwiches for the five hour car ride....bottled water and, of course, the wine. Don't let me forget the wine! Last, but not least, I will be packing my own bed pillow. I try not to go anywhere without it....it's like taking a little bit of 'home' with me.

I think that is everything.....I'm exhausted......are we there yet?

3 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

I am exhausted just reading about your packing LOL....But I am the same way...better to have to much than not enough. What beach are you going to? I just came back from TYBEE Island Beach.

L. said...

HI Clara....I am finally finished with the packing!! I am heading down to Destin, Florida. Where is Tybee Island Beach? Thanks so much for your comments and for reading my blog.... : )

Clara....in TN said...

Tybee Island is twelve miles from Savannah GA.