Thursday, July 06, 2006

My Morning Walk "with" Mom

"Hi Mom....ready for a walk?" I said into the phone this morning. "Sure", was her reply. And, so begins our 'every couple of days' morning ritual of long-distance talking while I take a walk outside in my neighborhood.

I really enjoy this one on one time with my Mom, because, other than a few noisy leaf blowers, it is pretty much free of distractions. Mom and I cover a multitude of topics as we dish about family members (With our family...these discussions could cover the entire hour if we let it!)....our aches and pains (a close second after "family") ....how my Dad can drive her crazy at times (as I am sure she does to him!)....events that we have gone to (lately for Mom these "events" have become a lot of doctor appointments for her and Dad as well as a little shopping here and there)....TV programs that we have both watched...(especially the Reality Shows to which, admittedly, we are both addicted)...etc. etc. And, of course, being talkative women, we never run out of things to discuss! It is a really wonderful connection that I have grown to cherish. (We can thank Verizon's "Family and Friends" plan that allows us the ability to talk without worry about the cost. I think that I just made a commercial!!)

It is these little rituals that we have in life that make it so much richer. The gift of giving your time to your parents and being able to listen to their wonderful stories is so special.... (ok...so sometimes the same stories are told more than once...but I still enjoy them....almost like when you are a child and you want the same story read to you night after night...there is something strangely comforting about it.)

I count my blessings every day that we can share this gift of gab together...not just as Mother and daughter, but as best friends and confidantes. Thanks, Mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,
I just wanted to say hello and thank you for this terrific site! Your entry today reminded me of our own chats while I drive home from work. I love the relationship we have and I am so blessed to have two incredible MOMs as well as a wonderful extended family. We are all so excited about the new adventures that lie ahead and it is so amazing to be able to capture and share our feelings. Thank you so much for being you and enlightening us all with your thoughts each day. I love you, buddha's (soon to be) mom

Moobear said...

Your touching post brought tears to my eyes literally. Hon, enjoy mom as memories are being made now! I lost my mom when I was 14 and I still need her, I have so much I want to tell her. Thanks for being you in all your post!
God Bless!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.