Tuesday, July 18, 2006

today...

It was kind of an ordinary day today....I walked inside on the treadmill since it was already a scorcher outside by 8:00 a.m.....went and got my hair "trimmed" which turned into a hair "cut" when I kept saying "shorter, shorter" (I guess that the heat got to me!?). I had a few errands to run while I was out, but with the exorbitant gas prices these days I try to limit my driving when I can..... it costs a ridiculous amount to keep my Jeep running.

I waited anxiously to hear how the eye dr. appointment went for Mom. Since being diagnosed with macular degeneration a few years ago, these appointments can be full of angst as she goes through several tests to make sure that her condition hasn't worsened. It was a relief to finally hear the good news late this afternoon. No change in either eye. She basically has a large black 'blob' in her central vision in one eye....only seeing peripherally...and even that is limited. So far the other eye has not become "active" yet...so that is good.

Other than having to stop driving, she has not let it impact her life in too many ways. She just uses magnifiers to read and do her daily crossword puzzles (she's a whiz at these!). We bought her a "talking watch" for her last birthday that announces the time at the push of a button....she laughs when the alarm is set and the "rooster crows"...sometimes randomly! She has a clock by her bed with huge, lighted numbers...and carries a small magnifier with her whenever she is out.

Mom copes with this situation like a real trooper...while always knowing that this condition can change at any time. But, for today, the report is good. Maybe it wasn't such an ordinary day after all.

No comments: