Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Whining about WINE

I just read this in our local paper's wine column..."...Oregon Pinot Noir 2003 offers aromas of black cherries, brown sugar and vanilla with flavors of nutmeg, toast (toast???!), strawberries and cherries, a soft mouth feel, and a long, round finish."

HUH?... I take a sip of wine and just enjoy it without needing to find blackberries, plums, or musky undertones. I wouldn't know a 'soft mouth feel' from a 'hard mouth feel', nor am I sure that I ever want to.

And, how about this one: "Aromas of red plum and leather (!!), with accents of jasmine and earthiness, lead to intense flavors with hints of black cherry, plum and brown spice(what exactly is brown spice?) with subtleties of French oak for a long, smoky finish..."

Why would one want the aroma of leather in a glass of wine? Maybe I lack some sophistication....or underachieving taste buds....but, I just don't get it. It seems a little over the top to me to go into such detail over a simple glass of wine.

I can't think of any other item that we eat or drink that comes under such scrutiny. Can you imagine describing a piece of bread as having "....a hint of yeast as well as an overwhelming touch of fresh eggs and milk....with a big ending finish of robust wheat."? Either can I.

Well, as they say, it is five o'clock somewhere....so I am going to go and pour myself an unpretentious glass of red wine.

CHEERS!

No comments: