Saturday, August 19, 2006

Why I love blogging...

As I walked to my car yesterday at the grocery store, I chatted with the young bag boy who was helping me out with my groceries. He seemed to come alive in his eagerness to tell me about his day.

As I listened to him, I realized that everyone has a 'story' to tell if we just stop long enough to hear it. I smiled as we stood at my car for a few minutes so that he could finish. We said our 'good-byes' and then went on our individual ways. It wasn't that what he had to say was so momentous, but it was something of value to him.

I feel for people who are always so busy, so entrenched in themselves or their tasks...that they don't take the time to listen to....or, just smile at a stranger. Some people will even avoid eye contact with others as they rush through whatever it is that they are doing at the moment.

To me, that is taking a chance at missing out on a wonderful human connection.

Of course, I admittedly have the reputation for being able to have a conversation with a light pole (!)... and a willingness to bare my soul to anyone who will listen. And, I guess, that is truthfully who I am. I may get into trouble some day for being so open....but, for now, it seems to work for me.

My mom tells me that when I was a little girl I would always talk to strangers. If we went somewhere, I could be found wandering off to visit with the people around me. So, I guess that this has been a part of me forever.

Blogging has allowed me a forum to express myself and share my 'stories' with family, friends and, even people whom I have never met. Most importantly, it has given me the opportunity to get to know many "strangers" who have now become my friends.

And, what could be better than that? : )

"Smile at strangers---you never know when there is an angel among us..."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laur....Let me tell you that you were the most gregarious kid growing up. Mother and I had to constantly watch you to make sure you wouldn't wander off chatting with someone that you were chatting with ! I've been a bit more cautious in encounters with strangers, but I'll never forget when we visited Israel and were standing on a corner in Jerusalem when a nattily dressed gentlemen with the most beautiful British accent approached us and politely asked if he might be of service. We told him we were looking for the bus stop for the line to take us back to our apartment. He told uys he was on his way to the photo shop around the corner, where his auto was parked and that he would be more than pleased to take us where we were going as it was on his way home. Even though our first thought was this was a con artist, he looked harmless enough and we agreed to go with him. It turned out that he was a retired judge from Australia whoi had made aliyah (return) to Israel and was now an unofficial chamber of commerce for Israel ! His charm (along with his lovely wife who invited us to their home for tea)and helpfulness helped make our trip one of the most pleasant vacations we've enjoyed. Buddha's Great Grandpop to be.