Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Crisper days ahead

My calendar stated that on September 23, Autumn officially began.

This is my very favorite time of year!

Temperatures begin to drop just slightly.....the humidity levels follow suit...and the air just feels fresher, more alive. My early morning walks become more invigorating as the cooler days begin to make their appearance. And, Mother Nature begins to bring Fall colors to the trees as the leaves begin their transformation from green to vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows. I love it!

Living in Alabama, we will still have some very warm days ahead, but for the most part the weather will be very pleasant. After having grown up in S. Florida, I welcome the changing seasons here even though they may be moderate. In S. Florida a winter day meant that you might start out wearing a light jacket but by afternoon you were uncomfortably warm.

I also love the upcoming holidays. Dave and I usually carve pumpkins together for Halloween...then I roast the seeds. I love to give candy out to the neighborhood kids and see them in their costumes. It all takes me back to when my boys were young and enjoyed this candy feast!

Adam was always a bit leery of anything in a costume (he really disliked clowns and ran from all of the costumed characters at Disneyworld!).

So, on trick or treat night we would have to go to the door for him and collect his treats... as he was apprehensive of what might lurk behind those closed doors. He would stand a prudent distance away and watch. Sometimes when he observed that it was a "safe" house (and not "haunted"!!) he would venture closer to retrieve the goodies on his own.

It does make me wonder how his new son, Owen, will do when he is old enough to trick or treat. Or, should I say, I wonder how Owen's daddy will do...I think that he has outgrown this fear...but, one never knows!

BOO! : )

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

L. said...

Thanks, TJ!!!!!!
Oh, yeah....he'll be getting a guitar asap....of that I can be sure! : )
Thanks for stopping by my blog...I hope that you will visit often.
I enjoy reading your thoughts on your blog. It certainly makes one think! : ) Take care, Grammie

Gattina said...

Happy Granny,Grammie ! I am jalous. The little buddah is really cute in his rock outfit and apparently has the related voice !
We didn't know about celebrating Halloween in Europe. Only in Ireland and UK where it came from. In fact Halloween was brought over to the States by the Irish immigrants. (I sound like a teacher) but now at least here in Waterloo we do it as there are so many americans and english people here and it's a lot of fun !
I also decorate our home with ugly to very ugly witches and other stuff ! Yesterday I took some pictures in our Supermarket, where they just were preparing a big stand. Coming soon ...