Thursday, September 14, 2006

Got milk?

As I sat and gave little Owen his early morning supplemental feeding today, I was thinking about so many things.

I was trying to remember back when I was a new mother full of anxiety and questions... and how I got through every day while his dad was at work and I was on my own.

I know that Jenny and Adam are totally exhausted as they try to find a rhythm again in this new and wonderful life as parents.

With Jenny breastfeeding, a lot of the responsibility falls on her...so she is going through her days very sleep-deprived.

And, Adam does all that he can, but he has to get up each morning and go to work.

Reality is starting to set in and it is very challenging.

I have all the confidence in the world that they are going to be incredibly loving and capable parents....but they are the ones that need to feel that parenting instinct on their own.

Jenny's mom will be leaving tomorrow and then I will head home on Tuesday....leaving them totally on their own for the first time. As difficult as it will be for us to go....we know that it is time for them to find their own way.

In a way it feels as though I am watching Adam go off to kindergarten all over again.

You know that time when you worry so much about them heading off for their first school experience....

Will they be ok? Will they cry all morning? Will they miss me? Will they get more attached to this new caretaker in their lives? Will they get along with the other children? etc. etc.

You drop them off and they cautiously...but, happily go into the teacher's awaiting arms...

and then you get in the car and cry your eyes out...

3 comments:

Jana said...

Oh, how precious you are with that little guy! The first time I held Fay, I cried because I knew I'd miss her so much when I had to leave to go home... so I feel for you grammie!!
My very BEST advice to Jenny is to SLEEP every single chance she gets. Every time Owen is down, she needs to be too. Darn the dishes and the laundry... that stuff will wait. She really needs to drink all the water in the world too... a dehydrated breast feeder will have a very unhappy baby.
Daddy might have to do some laundry and Jenny will just have to let him. =-)
In case you're interested, I finally got a picture of my Fay on my blog-- Get Off The Phone. =-)

Gattina said...

They are very lucky to have you ! When we came home with our little baby son, I had a hysterical jumping around mother with me, who NEVER helped me, because she was afraid of babies ! Yes, that exists fortunately I had my grandma who raised me for 7 years of my life.
"That cleaning lady" is right, freshly baked mummy should rest as often as it's possible. But you will see until now almost every young couple manages the step from couple to parents ! You did too see ...

Teresa said...

I remember those first few days of kindergarten and how I worried about each of my children! I remember sitting in the car and crying, and then crying all the way home and the minute I got home I made sure the phone was on the hook in case the school called and my child needed me. That never happened, of course.
I can't wait for grandchildren! Everyone tells me that grandchildren hold a very special place in the heart. I can't wait to find out for myself.