Monday, September 18, 2006

My last day....

My dear, sweet Owen,

Tomorrow I will be heading back home to my reality. Gizmo awaits my return as do all of the mail, bills, and clay waiting to be formed, etc.etc. And, of course, I will have so many wonderful stories to relate to all of my dear friends.

It will not be easy to leave you and your mommy and daddy. I well up with tears just thinking about not getting to wake up every morning and see your angelic face. However, I will not be leaving with sadness, but with a filled heart.

I will carry that image of your incredibly beautiful face with me always.

I will celebrate your good health and unlimited ability to make full grown adults melt by your coos and your smiles.

I will continue to be in awe of the miracle of your birth.

I will be warmed as I think about the immediate love and connection that I saw in your parent's eyes as you entered this crazy world of ours.... and that I continue to see every day as they care for you.

I will smile as I think about how entertaining your hiccups, your smiles, your every movement, and, yes, even your poops, became to us.

I will think about the simple pleasure of just sitting and watching you in wonder as your tiny fingers grasped my finger with such strength and determination.

I will laugh as I remember Oscar's accepting you into the family by putting his favorite toy on your face.

I will feel empathy as your tired parent's wearily find the strength to comfort you in the middle of the night.

I will dream about the next visit and how I will be amazed by your growth and new skills.

I know that each day you are growing and changing in that I have already seen such changes in you since I arrived here 2 weeks ago. I will miss all of those little passages, but, I know that your mommy and daddy will keep sending pictures and that we can always do a little webcam when I need a "fix" of my Owen.

The miles may separate us, dear Owen, but our hearts are forever bound together...and I know that I am leaving you in very capable and loving hands.

Bye for now, sweet Owen. I know that it is time for me to go....

But...

I am missing you already...

I love you, Grammie

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Moobear said...

Oh Grammie, Owen is so pretty. I could see his mom in his eyes in the last picture. Through my tears after readiing your post, I don't know whether I can handle being a grandma or not. I am so emotional.
May God give you traveling mercies as you return home tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of this day.


God Bless!

Teresa said...

Your words to Owen are beautiful.

Clara....in TN said...

Oh Grammie, I know your feelings exactly!!!! When my second grandson was born they lived 900 miles away. My oldest was nine years old at that time. Everytime I left them, my heart would break. I would have to peel the oldest one from my body. He would hold on for dear life. But how sweet it is to hold on to these memories. Have a safe trip home and kiss sweet Owen for me. He is beautiful!

L. said...

I so appreciate your warm and loving comments to my blog! Thanks, ladies... and newly-found friends!