Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Halloween Dilemma

Trick O' Treater Costume

I am faced with this decision every year.

What kind of candy do I buy for the trick or treater's????

As I roam the aisles I am enticed by the super-sized bags of candy in mini-sized packages. Everything from candy corn to every chocolate confection imaginable is out there for the taking.

My dilemma is: Do I buy the candy that I like (M and M's, and anything else with chocolate as the main ingredient!) in hopes of having some left over after the last costumed child has come and gone?

Or, do I think about all of the weight that I could put on by doing that and instead reach for the bags of candy that do not appeal to me at all? This way I wouldn't be tempted by all of the sugary delights in my home that would be available for my consumption.

Well, this year I decided to go for the candy that I like. My thinking was that with all of those M and M's individually wrapped in small portion packages, I could just limit myself to one package a day. Then, this would be a little treat instead of a big indulgence. I am satisfied with this decision as it makes perfect sense to me.

.......So, tons of "little individual small portion packages" later.....I am having to go back to the store to purchase some additional candy for the kids to replenish what I have already devoured.

After all, I don't want to run out and have the possibility of having my house 'tricked', do I???

Maybe next year I will purchase the candy that I don't like....

But, I doubt it. Smile

4 comments:

Moobear said...

I could eat my weight in corn candy. Actually I bout did, I got hooked on corn candy bout two years ago and seemed like my body craved sweets and I gained many pounds that I had kept off for over 25 years. I am happy to say I no longer have the sweet tooth, BUT I still got the weight.

We have no trick or treaters as all our neighborhood kids are now grown and we are in an out of the way location.


God Bless!

Gattina said...

You should think that at our "great age" we are allowed to spoil ourselves, therefore make some provisions of M&Ms for the whole year ! Anyway tell yourself it's better for you than for the kids as they will dammage their teeth !

Jana said...

You could do something really off the wall and hand out toothbrushes and dental floss!! After all the candy the little moochers will need them. I wonder (dear friend Grammie) if you're worry about being tricked is only your way of giving yourself permission to buy M&M's... just buy the darn things, eat them yourself, and turn off the porch light.

L. said...

Great idea cleaning lady! : )