Friday, October 27, 2006

Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain

"Sometimes the wind makes a sudden change ...And some days are made for rain." Aaron Neville

We had heavy downpours all night that are continuing this morning here in Alabama. It's the kind of weather that entices one to stay in bed all day long curled up in the warmth of the covers...with permission to not come out until the sun is shining again.

And then, reality hits and we drag ourselves out to face the day ahead.

After my walk on the treadmill, I will head down to the dungeon (as I affectionately call my basement studio) and get back to work.

The pieces that I had carefully formed with the wet clay are now dry enough to paint with underglazes. After I put the final touches on these pieces, they will be headed to the kiln for their first firing. The kiln will reach temperatures as high as 1000 degrees for this bisque firing as the earthenware's chemistry changes from dry clay to a solid substance. Below is a picture of some pieces that are ready to go:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you ever make things to order?

L. said...

Sure. Why don't you give me your email address and we can 'talk'?
: )

Anonymous said...

Bert.Bananas@gmail.com

I have two supervisors I would like to give something personal, but not too expensive for their desks. Like a bowl or some kind of container for desk top things... with their names on them...