Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go...."

As Adam attempts to go on a swing with Owen, he seems to be saying, "Don't let go of me Daddy"! He apparently wasn't thrilled with the sensation of swinging back and forth...maybe he will like this more as he gets older and less fearful.

As I watch the two of them learning about each other my mind wanders back to when Adam was a little boy. Through all of the stages I was always there to hold him tight and keep him secure. Step by step he slowly learned more and more about this big world... always knowing that his Dad and I were nearby to catch him if he faltered.

Posted by Picasa

Through those early years he amazed us with each step he took...the more independent he became, the more we applauded his new skills with parental pride. This is what parenting is all about, right? We teach, we support, we cheer, and we love....all the while holding on tight.

As the years passed by, and he grew more and more secure as he began to ready himself to leave this little nest where he had grown up.

Watching him go off to college in another town was gut-wrenching at the time....but, this is what we had worked so hard at, right? As difficult as it was, this was the natural order of things.

From college he moved on to a job, marriage, more schooling, a new job in Minnesota...and, now, a son of his own.

I am confident that he and Jenny will encourage little Owen to grow and thrive on his own as they continue to hold him tight...until one day, when they, too, will have to let him go.

As they watch Owen go off on his own to pursue his dreams...they will put a smile on their faces to hide their heavy hearts... but, inside they will feel the satisfaction and pride knowing that they have done their job as good and loving parents.

And so, the cycle of life continues.

2 comments:

Moobear said...

That is such a sweet picture Grammie.
Son with son, I know how happy and proud you must be. I am so happy for you. Hope you have a good night friend. :)

Gattina said...

I fully agree. That's what we did too with our son. And as a result, we are very proud of him. Nothing is worse than possesive parents ! The only "thing" missing is a grandchild, but I think that will also come. He loves children and is godfather to two little girls.
Your voice just sounds like a normal grandma talking to her grandchild ! I would have the same voice too ! It was nice to hear !
I couldn't comment yesterday, it has been awful. My cat Lisa had "pissed" on my computer and I had to buy a new one !! I wrote about it today.