Sunday, November 26, 2006

Where to start?

Thanksgiving weekend...three dogs, eight grown people, an adorable 3 month old baby, and one unsuspecting turkey stayed together in a warm and inviting home in St. Louis.

A wonderful time was had by all....well, maybe with the exception of the turkey. : (

It was so great holding little Owen in my arms again. Of course he was continuously passed around to the other grandma, a grandpa, the great-grandma, the uncles, the aunts....and a variety friends who stopped by.

We all had to share our moments of joy. But, if we weren't holding the baby, we were probably taking pictures of the baby! I realized that little Owen probably thinks that grandparents are merely clicking sounds followed by flashes of light.

Besides the delicious turkey dinner, we spent most of our time doing what most American families do for Thanksgiving.....eating!! eating!! eating!!

We did fit in a little time for some football games, a family walk, and, of course, lots of talking and laughing. The new parents even got a chance to get out on their own a couple of times to take in a movie and visit the local hangout. We told them to take advantage of the fact that there were so many other loving arms available to take care of Owen. So, they did and there were no complaints from us!

While Owen certainly has grown some, the most striking difference to me was his exuberant animation when exposed to other people and/or objects and sounds.

He would smile with abandon when talked to and kick his legs and flail his arms enthusiastically when placed on his little colorful mat on the floor. I felt so fortunate to be experiencing all of this firsthand...and, I found myself totally content just being an observer in my new grandson's world.

I'm sure that three-month old babies all over the world are doing this very same thing...but, in this Grammie's eyes, he was the first one ever to do this incredibly brilliant activity !!!

*sigh*

...more tomorrow. : )

1 comment:

Gattina said...

You really spent some beautiful days with your son and little Owen has changed so much ! But he still has these special eyes. He is very cute ! I didn't realize that you went to St. Louis I remember we have crossed the City coming from Florida and going to Memphis, I wanted to see Graceland, which of course we did. I should look at the videos again, because I don't remember very much of St. Louis. Fortunately there are airplanes now, it would be quite a way to go by car from your place.