Friday, December 01, 2006

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

After several unusually warm days, the North winds blew in late last night and, as I sit here typing, the temps are heading in a downward direction. The warmest part of the day is right now as we are heading into the 20's by this afternoon.

But, as I watched the news this morning, I realized that we are lucky here in Bham in that up north they are battling with ice and snow and wind chills in the single digits. Of course my thoughts go to my kids who are all living in the colder areas of the country right now.... I just hope that they are all keeping warm, especially little Owen! He is going to be facing his first Minnesota winter this year...and that can be brutal. As part of my "knitting frenzy" before his arrival, I made him a couple of blankets. As a beginner knitter, they were far from perfect (understatement)....but, hopefully they will come in handy as they bundle him up!

The other night Dave and I went to see the play, "On Golden Pond". While I liked the movie a little better, I do love live theatre. There's nothing like it....

Tom Bosley, from Happy Days fame, played the lead...and Michael Learned, from The Waltons, played his wife.

It is a sweet little story about a father's struggle to reconnect with his grown daughter. Interwoven into their story, we get to watch the reactions of the other people who are all a part of their lives. As part of my nature, I love to get deeply involved in these "character studies"...Dave doesn't always understand that part of me. (I bet that you can hear his groans as I write this!). It must be another one of those "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus" things!

The story takes place at their summer lake home on Golden Pond and the scenery for this production was excellent. As we sat and watched the sunrise on the set we could almost feel as if, we too, were visiting this little house on the lake. Clouds floated by overhead and the sound of the loons filled the air. Pretty impressive for a traveling show.

It took some getting used to seeing the lead characters in their roles....my mind kept going back to the parts that they each played in their television shows years ago. I almost expected to hear Michael Learned say, "Goodnight, Jon boy" at the end of the perfomance! : )

Well, I am going to bundle up and get my walk in before the temperatures plummet.

Have a nice day and...... stay warm.

: 0

No comments: