Saturday, January 27, 2007

Freedom Writers

Every once in a while a movie comes along that affects me in a profound way.

Such was the case with Freedom Writers...

It is an amazing "...true story of strength, courage, and achievement in the face of adversity." It all takes place in 1994 in Long Beach, California and tells the story of an eager, inexperienced, and extremely naive teacher named Erin Gruwell and her innovative and positive approach to teaching. She succeeds in shattering stereotypes and giving hope where there isn't any. What follows under her tutelage is nothing short of miraculous and life-changing for this group of "unteachable, at-risk teenagers". It was a very inspiring movie that I highly recommend.

I was touched on so many levels as I watched this movie. Having taught school for several years after college, I could identify with the challenges of being a teacher. Even though I did not have "at risk" kids in my classroom, there were still many issues that I had to deal with as a teacher.

I can recall my own naive excitement as I faced my first teaching job. At that time, employment-seeking teacher's outnumbered available jobs. I remember interviewing with the principal of one school and trying to let him know of my passion for wanting to teach. I must have overwhelmed him a bit with my overly enthusiastic personality, as he did hire me even though he didn't have a classroom for me to work in. The schools in this district were facing overcrowding without having the funds to expand the building. So, I actually began my teaching career by working in a make-shift classroom that was, in actuality, part of the school library. The "walls" were actually bookshelves and there wasn't a door. Other students who were using the library browsed around as I was teaching. But, I had a job, and I was thrilled.

Being artistic, I found myself trying to use my creativity to make learning fun and interesting. I remember working long hours at school and at home creating homemade puppet shows and brightly colored work sheets to teach phonics and other basic skills. Back then, the most sophisticated tool that we had at school was a mimeograph machine that made very smelly and rough copies. (What a different world teachers face today with modern technology!)

Trying to reach some of the children who got lost in the shuffle of the educational system was one of my goals. These so called "problem kids" got a lot of negative attention when they were really craving positive attention. It is truly amazing what just a little complimentary feedback can do. I cherished those years when I was in the classroom and hope that I, too, may have affected some of my students in a real way. I know that they certainly affected me and the person that I was to become as the years went by...

: )

1 comment:

Gattina said...

I think it's not easy at all for teachers today, parents just let everything go and the school should do all, education and teaching, that's a lot. I have to say that in Belgium the kids are still very brave compared to other countries.
I didn't know that you have been a teacher !