Thursday, January 25, 2007

rat-a-tat-tat

Most people have alarm clocks.

I have a woodpecker!

Early this morning I was awakened by the loud tapping of my neighborhood woodpecker! He seemed to be making his way along the entire side of my house near my bedroom. It is amazing how forceful his beak must be as the sound that he was making was really quite loud. Lying there listening to his rhythmic sound, I wondered if he was doing any damage and if he would ever stop and fly away....which he eventually did.

What a way to start the day!

After getting myself moving this morning, I headed out to do a few errands and made my first stop, The Dollar Store! I have heard other people remark about how much they love shopping at these $1 only places (Dave is quite an aficionado himself), but hadn't ever really gotten into it myself. Well, today changed all of that.

I don't know why but I became mesmerized by the idea that everything in this store was only a dollar. I felt as though I was at a big garage sale full of bargains. Suddenly I was purchasing things that I didn't even realize I needed! It was so much fun. I bought some big, plastic clips to hold opened bags together, some organizing baskets, doilies, zip lock bags, rug cleaner, drain opener, a little frame, a night light, and, finally, a bag of sugarless butterscotch candy. The best part was that I got all of this for under $10! (At one point I did wonder if any of the items that I purchased were actually less than a dollar at another store?) Oh well, I'm hooked. I'll be going back there again, I am sure.

Just what I needed, a new addiction... : )

3 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

I LOVE those stores. One time I found some huge bags like shopping bags with handles and had a zipper across the top. Lots of goodies to be found there!!!! Welcome aboard!

Bert Bananas said...

I, too, am an afficionado... Out here we have the 99cent stores.

As an expert, I can tell you that the cleaning products don't work near as well as your regular products. Don't try to save money with imitation windex or comet or paper products. But that's about it; the tool section is great!

Moobear said...

You will often find some things there that are not easy items to find. I looked and looked for a stockpot to para boil my collards in - to no avail. I went to the dollar store and found all sizes! They also have a good variety of dog and cat treats! Have a great day Grammie!
I still chuckle over your diaper post. I just had to share that one with Jerrell. :)