Sunday, January 14, 2007

Today's walk

Dave pressure washed the entire back yard for me today. He offered to do this twice-a-year chore for me, and I was very appreciative to say the least!

The bricks surrounding the concrete patio had ample green moss growing on them, and the patio was pretty black.

He worked on it for several hours and looked almost as dirty as the area that he had just cleaned when he was done! I taped notes to the windows near where he was working to tell him how grateful I was for his help. As he was working away, I noticed him smile every once in a while as he read the notes.

So, while he was busily cleaning the patio, I guiltily snuck away for my morning walk.

It was an absolutely magnificent day here in Birmingham with the mild temps and abundant sunshine.

As I started up the "no talking zone" hill (so named due to its steepness-- making it quite difficult to hold a conversation as you head up to the top) I came upon my friend, Cathy, sitting outside with one granddaughter on her lap drinking from a bottle and the other one happily playing on the swingset. She is one of my very lucky girlfriends who has her grandchildren living here in Birmingham. I stayed and chatted for a while until I was sufficiently over my being quite envious : ) and ready to move on and continue my walk.

I had my cell phone with me as I sometimes find it convenient to do some catching up while getting this morning exercise. Other times I just enjoy listening to the radio...or just walking and breathing deeply. Sometimes when I pass people on the way they think that I am talking to myself as they do not always see the ear piece and the dangling wire. "Crazy lady", they must mutter as they walk by me.

As I continued walking I came upon another girlfriend walking briskly and pushing a stroller down the road. Her daughter and granddaughter were in town for a visit and they were taking advantage of the warm weather and taking a walk. I ended up walking back down the street with them as we talked about the joys of being grandma's and oohed and ahhed over her adorable grandbaby. I excitedly told them about my little Owen and his upcoming visit. It was nice catching up with her and sharing this new role that we had both assumed, as I don't get to see her very often.

Leaving them and back on my own again, I began to think how easily this life passage had come to be with me and my contemporaries. We were all experiencing this joyous stage of "grandparenting" as though it was completely natural and commonplace. But, when I really think about it, it is kind of strange.

These friends of mine have been with me on my journey as a new wife, teacher, mother of two sons, an empty-nester, a divorced woman, and now a new grandma. Suddenly we have made a full circle through our differing life's happenings as we are brought back together again with this recently acquired commonality.

It's funny how we fall so easily into our new roles as they occur in our lives. It kind of happens when your not really paying attention. All of a sudden, we are the oldest of this little group made up of our children and their children. How did this happen so quickly?

It is a bit strange, but absolutely wonderful all at the same time.

: )

6 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

"It's funny how we fall so easily into our new roles..."

Funny, ha ha, or funny, weird?

Given who you and your friends are, what were the choices? As each pivotal event transpired, did you ever consider 'giving up,' whatever that might have meant?

So basically, I'm saying that you're still who you've always been. What's funny about that?

Jana said...

I was thinking of you while Chris and I were out walking today in 20* temperatures!!! We did the 3+ miles in just about an hour, my face and legs below my jacket were freeezzzzing!!! I can feel for the kids up there in the burr-zone in Minnesota.
As for the transition, you're right, we just fall naturally into the change as though it were the most commonplace thing, don't we? I've gone from married to a mother, to divorced, through a couple BAD relationships, to 7 years of celebacy (aka languishing in the land of anti-depressants) to life with Christopher, and now to a grandmother. I'm so lucky that the kids are here in town, so I can see them anytime, and I feel for you being so far away from Owen. Perhaps one day soon your son will feel the tug of his mothers longing and move him and the wife and kiddy and puppy to Birmingham!!!

L. said...

Bert..."Funny" as in a bit strange...it is not a role that we are accustomed to, but that we have all of a sudden moved into. Of course we are still "who we are" inside, but our situations have changed. I think that it might be more of a "woman" thing. : )

Jana, 20 degree walk? I sure hope that you were bundled up!! : 0
As far as my kids ever moving back to Bham...I understand and accept that they need to be where their jobs are...and must follow their own dreams. It is just my "out loud yearning" that you are hearing...but, the reality is that I totally accept their choices. I moved away from my own family when we made Bham our home many years ago, so I truly understand their situations and decisions.
Although they all live far, we are truly as close as ever in our hearts.
You are a very lucky grandma to have yours so close by. Enjoy every precious moment!

Moobear said...

I can relate to the the emptynest syndrome and also my sons having to move to different areas in order to have professional jobs and lives unable to be offered here. I accepted that as that is what we knew would be necessary for them them to achieve their goals. At the same time, I bet you had no guilt at all for going on that walk and leaving poor ole Dave working away. :P
Have a great day my friend. Continue enjoying each day and life's changes, you are such a good example for others.


God Bless!

Gattina said...

I am not yet in the grandmother's period, and I wonder when this day will come.

Bert Bananas said...

Gattina, if you've a daughter you'd care to introduce to me...