Saturday, January 20, 2007

What was I thinking?

"Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all- wise and prehistoric." Pam Brown

My blogging friend, Claudia, just emailed me some wonderful quotes about being a grandparent. The one above caught my eye....especially the part about being "prehistoric".

As I prepare for my grandson's first visit to Birmingham, I want to make sure and have everything ready for his arrival. This has meant spending time perusing the aisles of baby stores for various items. This is the part where the word "prehistoric" comes in as there are so many choices out there for new parents nowadays.

In the Dark Ages (!!), when I was a new mom, we had two choices for diapering our baby: cloth diapers or the "new" throwaway diapers.

This is not true anymore.

Decisions have to be made about the type of diaper you are needing. For example, if you go to buy Pampers, there are: Swaddlers New Baby, Cruisers for crawling or walking babies, Baby Dry with Caterpillar-Flex (?), Easy Ups for the beginning of potty training and then they graduate to, Feel 'n Learn for advanced training, and finally Splashers for swimming and pool use!

Once you decide on the style of diaper that you want, you must figure out the correct proportions for your particular baby's weight and height, etc.

Fortunately, Jenny had given me instructions prior to my purchasing the diapers for Owen.

Unfortunately, she hadn't told me how many to buy.

So, without really thinking, but all the time wanting to be totally prepared, I left the store confidently with my packages of Swaddlers New Baby #2, 12-18 pounds diapers.

Back home, unpacking my bags, I realized that I had purchased 120 diapers...for a three day stay. When I told Dave about my diaper acquisition, his comment was, "120 diapers?!?!? Are we going to be changing the baby every few seconds?".

Laughing, I realized that I may have overdone the Pamper thing. In speaking with Jenny (who was also hysterically laughing), I found out that they use about 8 Pampers a day. That would mean that 24-30 Pampers would suffice.

Oh well. What do I know? I am a first-time Grammie.

I'll know better with the next one.... : )

2 comments:

Jana said...

Well, you'll have plenty, and maybe the kids will want to take home the rest for the next month's useage? =-).
As for the Raisinettes, please give yourself a break!!! Oh, and usually the housekey will work fine to break into the plastic.

L. said...

Thanks for the hint, Jana! : )