Saturday, February 24, 2007

"Being nice..."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Plato

Dave says that I am wanting to live in a Utopian world.

I say that I just want people to be gentle, gracious, and kind.

I truly cannot understand why "being nice" is such a difficult behavior for some. To me it is such an easy concept.

It takes the same amount of energy to show kindness and warmth as it does to be harsh and cold. I just don't get it!

A kindly nature can come across through a simple look on your face as well as a soft tone to your voice. It's simply that easy.

Some say that it is a result of the times that we live in...the fast paced, often violent world around us. I disagree. To me that is just an excuse for indifference and meanness. I think that we have become a nation of self-centered people who have lost some of their humanity and altruism towards others.

How difficult is it to greet someone with a smile? How hard is it to use a pleasant tone when speaking on the phone even if you don't know the person on the other end of the line? What about doing some deep breathing when stuck in traffic instead of laying on the horn or screaming out profanities?

And, when someone takes time to do something for you, even the smallest thing; why not take out a minute to either gratefully respond, write a note, or make a quick call? Thank you notes seem to be a dying art and that makes me sad. One of the first things that my boys learned was to show their appreciation by taking the time to write a note or card to the person who did the giving. I am happy to say that they continue with this to this day. It makes a mother proud! : )

Emailing and text messages have given us another venue for communication, but, to me, the same rules apply. Don't let an email go unanswered out there in cyberland....respond to it when you can. This lets the other person know that you received the message and and that they are important enough for you to take the time out of your busy schedule to let them know it.

I always say that kindness begets kindness. Speak to someone in a loving way and it will get passed on appreciatively to another or even eventually make its way back to you. How nice.

Well, you can call me a "Pollyanna" if you want (I am sure that I've been called worse!), but I am a real stickler when it comes to this subject. I will always feel this way about simple kindheartedness and compassionate behavior.

So, go out and try "being nice" to someone today. I promise you that it will feel good. : )

"Smile at strangers....you never know where angels are walking."

5 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

Swear to Ben Hogan, this really just happened!

I was a Marie Callendar's refilling our pie larder and I chatted up a tiny, frail old lady who was at least 85. She came in all apprehensive and I gave her a big smile and began a conversation about how much fun, and pie-filled February and October had become. She agreed, smiling and talking animatedly.

I like being nice to people, because it's a lot less work.

L. said...

I never know quite how to take you, Mr. Bananas!

Were you really nice?

Clara....in TN said...

Your post reminded me of the sayin "Smile and the world smiles with you....cry and you cry alone". I would rather smile anyday! thanks for reminding me!

DAMODARAN SWAMINATHAN said...

as i was walking thru the blog st.,i stopped a while at u r blog,gone thru,felt peace in mind,and got relaxed.thank u very much.

L. said...

Professor,
I am honored that you came to visit my blog...and that it had a positive affect on you.

Please come by again!
Thanks,
Grammie : )