Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm feeling old tonight.

Let me explain.

I followed some links from a magazine article and got connected with a website where contributing bloggers are listed by the year that they were born. The oldest one is 95 years old. What a great idea!

Of course, my first inclination was to look down the list until I found some bloggers who were born on or near my date of birth, 1948.

I began to read.

While these blogs were fascinating to read, at first I found myself feeling a bit unsettled.

For my age range, I mostly found posts about "aging" and what if felt like to be getting older.

I kept reading each one in hopes that there would be a totally positive spin on this third trimester of life. I didn't want to identify with these people who were actually my age. Denial was setting in as I continued to read blog after fascinating blog.

My first thought was:"Oh, those are other people that they are talking about, not me." The more I read, the more I identified with what they were saying...the topics were timely and interesting....and I came to the realization that these people were definitely "me"!!!

I am, after all, someone's Grandmother. And, my youngest son will be turning 30 in a matter of days. When age categories are listed, mine is always next to last....right before "60 and older". Young people call me "ma'm". I will be turning 60 next year! Grey hairs are coming with more regularity these days. When I get down on the floor, getting up quickly can be challenging. I have been a member of AARP for the last 8 years and the articles in their monthly publication are very pertinent to my life right now. All of my doctors are much younger than I am. In a few years I will be able to get Senior Discounts at movies, etc. People don't get that shocked look on their faces anymore when I tell them how old I am...etc. etc.

OK, get a grip, Grammie!

But, I feel good. I walk several miles at a fast clip every day. I have a wonderful life. I am happy. I am active and able to enjoy so many things. I have read lately that "60 is the new 40"....I am young at heart....I like where I am in my life right now.....The joy of being a new grandma is incredible...I continue to learn more about myself each day. This self-discovery is part of my new found wisdom and maturity.

Age is just a number, right?

RIGHT???? : o

2 comments:

Jana said...

Did you read the funny, touching and interesting blog on Clara's blog about the old woman that's moved into her house? It made me smile a bit and cry a bit too!
One of my clients would add to your list of senior sayings "Aging is not for sissies". I find a lot of them tell me the same story over and again, after asking if I've heard this before, I always tell them no, I haven't.
If working with clay makes your hands hurt some - then (of course) drink more water (and can you wear some kind of gloves while you work with it?)since the clay sucks the water out of your hands -like cat litter does.
I was informed by a cute skinny little girl at a latte' stand that she expected a MUCH MORE MATRONLY voice from me when I ordered. NO she didn't get a tip.

L. said...

Hi Jana....I just read Clara's blog about the lady who came to visit...

http://clarascorner.blogspot.com/

and it was wonderful! Thanks! I must have missed it the other day.

Ever since reading your posts I have begun drinking more water. Good tip!
Have a nice day, Jana!