Saturday, March 31, 2007

Buy one, get one free?

"That story is going to end up in your blog tomorrow, isn't it?

That is what my friend asked me last night as I related to her what had happened at dinner.

Flashback sometime last year as Dave and I were dining out at one of our favorite restaurants...The portions served here were quite large and when Dave realized that he couldn't finish it all he asked the waiter to please wrap it up in a 'to go' box.

No sooner had the waiter walked away from our table when a loud crash was heard as the tray of plates, including Dave's leftovers, went flying!

Of course the waiter felt terrible and told Dave that if we wouldn't mind waiting, he would have the chef prepare the same meal in its entirety and pack it up for us.

What a treat...as he turned Dave's little piece of leftover fish into a completely new dinner to be enjoyed another time.

Flash forward to last night...same restaurant...both of us enjoying our meals.

After sharing a bottle of wine, eating our salads, and munching on their wonderful bread dipped in seasoned olive oil...we were both full before we were able to finish our entree.

Remembering our last incident with leftovers, we both chuckled a bit as we asked our waiter to please wrap up both of our meals to be enjoyed at another time. He smiled and said, "no problem". As he walked away with our plates we listened for any sounds of falling dishes. No such luck this time.

Several minutes later the waiter returned to our table with the bill. At this point Dave inquired about our leftovers. The waiter looks at us dumbfounded. He said that he was so sorry, but he didn't hear our request to do that and had already disposed of our food.

Before we could say anything more, a manager came over and said that he would have the chef prepare both of our meals again and wrap them up to take home.

Walking out with our bag full of two complete dinners, a little loaf of bread, and a container of seasoned olive oil, we both left the restaurant grinning in amazement. I was smiling with the realization that I wouldn't be needing to cook anything for the next night as we watched the final four games on tv. Nice.

We can't wait to go back and dine there again and, of course, ask for our leftovers to be wrapped up! : )

And, my friend was right, this story did end up in my blog today...

4 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm inspired. I think I'll dine out tonight. I'm going to fill up on delicious bread so there'll be plenty of leftovers to take home!

Princess said...

Where is this restaurant? My hubby and I might try it, too. Beautiful flowers, lovely colors. You're so lucky to wake up and be surrounded with such beautiful sight.
Brusells Sprouts???? Maybe no, but I like looking at those still stringed. together.
Hey, Grammie, would you care to play the 7 Songs meme? (Am not sure if that is the right term) You have to name the 7 songs you are currently listening to and to tag 7 others. If you don't want to, it will still be OK.
Hugs and Kisses to Owen.
Thanks....
Princess

Princess said...

Hi, Grammie,
Thank you for considering to play the tag game. That was only the second time that I was tagged, too. Rachel was the one who tagged me this time. In her blog she wrote some, or sections, of the lyrics to the seven songs she has playing on her site, while I wrote about how my 7 songs played in my life. I think the thing is you have to mention 7 songs and write about each if you want to, and then tag 7 more on your blog list. Once more, thanks a lot.
Happy Sunday.

Princess

Bert Bananas said...

Macaroni Grill?

Although they don't seem classy enough to have the waiters doing the wrapping up. The places we eat, they bring the Styrofoam containers and we pick out what we're going to take home to the kids for their dinners. Did you know that if you pour a couple of drops of water in one corner of the container and pour in salt, it'll 'congeal' there and won't mix with the rest of the food until you get home and spread it around?