Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Confessions of an American Idol fanatic...

*sigh*

It's Tuesday morning and I wake up with a smile on my face.

American Idol is on television tonight!

Those of you who have been following my blog know that it isn't a secret that I am a big fan of the show. After all, Birmingham's newest Chamber of Commerce slogan is: "Birmingham, Where Idols Are Born!"...and those of us who live here are quite invested in who the next Idol will be.

I love all of the drama that surrounds the show and its contestants.

However, that being said, I must comment on what has been going on with 17 year old Sanjaya Malakar. This seemingly sweet, young man has been part of a movement by the "Vote for the Worst" website http://www.votefortheworst.com/ and Howard Stern to keep him in the running...even though his singing voice is quite weak....and, as Randy says: "very pitchy".

I feel sorry for the kid, in that he must realize that this is going on and that he is being kept in through "sympathy" votes and not by real fans. That is not to take away from the teeny boppers who no doubt have fallen in love with this moptop character...but, to me it is hurting any integrity that the show may have had to kick out more talented singers to keep him in.

Anyway, my favorite right now is another youngster, 17 year old Jordin Sparks. Besides her incredible voice there is something so special about her....a clarity and confidence that is quite unusual for someone of that age.

I guess that we will just have to see what occurs tonight.

Oh my. I just paused to reread what I have written so far have decided that I need to get a life. Maybe tomorrow I will post something in a more intellectual vein.

But, I doubt it. : )

Have a nice day!

No comments: