Friday, March 23, 2007

Flashbacks...

"Character may be manifested in the great moments, but it is made in the small ones." P. Brooks

Driving home from taking Dave to the airport this morning stirred some old memories for me.

For some reason I started to think about getting my driver's license many, many (many!) years ago.

Growing up in S. Florida, the age for your restricted license was, (I think) 15, and your permanent license, 16. I swear, I can still remember that thrill of getting behind the wheel and driving! It felt so empowering and grown up. My mom tried to be my "adult driver" while I had my permit, but, after almost pushing her foot through the floor on the passenger side (trying to 'brake' for me) we both recognized that I made her too anxious. So, Dad became my teacher. I recall doing a lot of empty parking lot practicing with him. He was a brave man...

I especially remember one night when I was driving with my dad and feeling kind of cocky as I sat behind the wheel. He let me drive in front of the National Guard Armory where weekend dances were held. With bunches of my friends looking on, I slowly drove past the front of the place waving with glee. To my astonishment and embarrassment, I was pulled over right in front of everyone by a policeman. I found out that I was driving the wrong way down a one way street! Pretty cool, eh?

Another situation that sticks in my mind was when I went to get my permanent license. I did fine through the driving part...but, when it came time to parallel park I was quite anxious. Even though Dad had practiced that with me, I wasn't very confident in maneuvering the car between the poles.

I was so nervous on the day of the test. When it came to the parking part, I started out okay and thought that I was easing in to the space handily......that was, until I not only hit the pole but knocked it totally over!

Needless to say, I failed the test that day. : (

(Now, I must add right here that back in those days (!!) most of the cars were very long and had these "wings" in the back where the rear lights were. My car was an old Plymouth and it was especially lengthy and seemingly unending! Got the picture?)

But, there is nothing worse than having announced to all of your friends that you were going for you license only to come back without passing it. So humiliating.

I did go back a week later and successfully parked, bringing home that prized license. : )

But, I must admit, that to this day, I still don't relish to parallel parking.

1 comment:

Bert Bananas said...

I grew up in Las Vegas. Back then it wasn't plastic, it was still bronze.

For guys, getting a license meant that we could finally go out and 'park.' "To Park" meaning stopping the car someplace kind of lonely so you could neck. "To Neck"...

So for us, "parallel parking" had a totally different meaning. I never did learn... I'm not even in the mile high club. I guess you I am best described as pedestrian.