Thursday, April 26, 2007

Can you tell what this is a picture of?

1) The latest closeup shot of the moon's surface?

2) Unusual chocolate cupcakes?

3) An appetizer tray?

4) Something indescribable found in the back of my refrigerator?

5) A mini-mushroom farm?

6) My latest pottery creation gone wrong?

7) Burnt biscuits?

8) none of the above?

Correct answer: # 7

This picture is actually going to be my "before" photo of a miniature greenhouse for my latest experiment: growing my own herb garden from seeds.

I love fresh herbs and have always had a large herb garden area in my backyard. I fill it with spearmint, peppermint, basil, different types of parsley, rosemary, dill, marjoram, onion, lavender, oregano and sage. All of these can get quite costly when I have to replant them every year. Some of them return year after year, but I haven't had much luck with this. This year I decided to try to save money and start some of my garden from seeds.

So, I purchased this little tray that comes with 25 packed dirt compartments where I have gently placed 2-3 seeds from two different herbs (basil and parsley). It comes totally flat until you add warm water and then each compartment pops up into a 1 and 1/2" pellets. The whole thing stays inside where you keep the lid on until the seeds begin to sprout...and when leaves appear, they are ready to be transplanted outside.

One possible problem that I might not have foreseen...I noticed Gizmo sniffing around near it this morning...hopefully, she will not mistake these baby seedlings for breakfast.

: 0

I might need to start some catnip seedlings soon...

1 comment:

always abby said...

I thought they were your crabcakes for Saturday night's party.....