Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Getting dirty...

"I have found, through years of practice, that people garden in order to make something grow; to interact with nature; to share, to find sanctuary, to heal, to honor the earth, to leave a mark. Through gardening, we feel whole as we make our personal work of art upon our land." Julie Moir Messervy

I got my hands in the dirt yesterday as I started my spring planting.

I first had the arduous chore of cleaning the beds out from the fall and winter debris. With all of the trees and shrubs in my backyard, this amounts to quite a bit to clear away. Some of it stays in the beds to provide natural mulch in my garden, but the rest has to be removed so that I can dig into the rich, dark earth below it to make room for the new plants.

I started with my herb garden. As you can see by the picture above, my seedlings have started to sprout in my little miniature indoor greenhouse. They still have a long way to go, so I purchased some more mature herbs to get things started. I love the wonderful fragrance of the fresh herbs and use them quite often in my cooking...there's nothing like it. Bottled herbs and spices pale by comparison ...

As I was working the soil I felt a sense of calm come over me. There is such a life connection when I garden...as I carefully dig through the winter-toughened dirt, break through some of the old roots that I come across and then delicately, but firmly set the fledgling plant into the rich dirt that I have unearthed....hopeful that it's roots will spread out and nourish it's growth.

While working outside, I find myself noticing even the smallest things: an earthworm who I have unexpectedly jostled from the safety of his dirt 'home', ants on parade across the rocks, and an occasional butterfly flitting about. I also find myself paying more attention to the sounds of nature that surround me...becoming very contemplative and acutely aware of my surroundings. It is a tranquility that will greet me every time I step outside.

The feeling of being in control on a more manageable scale is so awesome. I become the caretaker of my yard as I nurture these small plants to maturity. I feel such hope and anticipation as they begin to emerge from the lush earth. In a short while, I will feel a sense of renewal as I begin to see my efforts continue to grow and prosper. It is this predictable cycle of life that keeps me coming back year after year going through the same steps over and over again.

"When gardeners garden, it is not just plants that grow, but the gardeners themselves." Ken Druse

1 comment:

Bert Bananas said...

True gardeners must be very deep thinkers.

I only garden to eat watermelons.