Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unimaginable Tragedy

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Isaac Asimov

As I posted some new photos of Owen this morning, his sweet innocence was especially poignant to me in light of yesterday's horrific shootings at Virginia Tech University.

As I continue to hear more information about this senseless massacre, I feel a strange sense of vulnerability come over me.

As a mother, and now grandmother, my first thoughts go to the family's of the victims. How can one make sense of something that is so senseless? How can you trust again when you sent your child to a supposedly safe and secure place that suddenly turned into a battlefield? Agonizing.

The affects of this grievous situation will be far reaching. The students that were, thankfully, not physically harmed are going to have to deal with their emotional scars as they seek to find resolution and healing.

My mind gets tangled in the confusion of needing more gun control...vs. giving guns to people in authority as a means of protection. The latter idea scares me....but....I just don't know what to think anymore.

I can only hope that this violent time that we live in will be somehow different when little Owen grows up...and I pray for inner strength for the people affected by this heinous crime...and, more than ever I pray for PEACE for us all.

5 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

Violence has always been with us. You of all people should know this. What does the word pogrom mean to you? Have you read your Leon Uris and Herman Wouk?

I believe that "peace" is increasing. But violence will always be with us. Technology allows violence per unit value to create more damage. Progress is a double edge sword.

There has never been a mother or grandmother who didn't have good cause to worry about what the future had in store for today's little kids. Remember how your mom worried that you would grow up living in a world that glowed radioactively?

Stop watching all the breast beaters who want to milk this tragedy for more ratings points. Get back to being happy.

Buy a gun.

L. said...

Bertsky,
Of course I know only too well of hatred and violence past and present (and, yes I have read both author's writings)...but, that doesn't mean that I can't still pray for a non-violent society for the future...

As always, I do appreciate your "touch of reality" comments...definitely food for thought.

No guns for me, thanks.

I do think that I have a bit of a radioactive "glow"...don't you?
: )

Gattina said...

Just dropping by to say hello. It's a horrible massacre what happened there ! I can't find words. But my opinion is if nobody has a gun nobody could shoot either. In Belgium only policemen are allowed to carry a gun. It's impossible to buy one without special permission and this is only for hunters (rifles) but they are checked until almost the 1st generation and in some cases also for shops like a jewelery. and this is in all European countries like that. If he would have had only a knife, he could have killed only one person (which is already sad enoough) but not 32 ! The far west is long gone !

L. said...

Interesting, Gattina...and sounding quite civilized actually.

Gun control has been debated back and forth here in the States for years with little, if any, real resolution. I'm not sure how many more of these heinous 'mass shootings' have to occur before there will be some changes made.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your interesting comments! : )

Princess said...

I can only grieve for those that were left behind.
I can only pray for those who are gone. May God bless all of them!!!