Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In between doing laundry and packing for my departure Friday morning for Minnesota (pronounced "Min-a-SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ta"!) I, of course, will be watching the American Idol finals tonight.

I have really liked Jordin all along and was glad to see that she made the finals....however, I felt that last night's show was a bit unfair to Blake. It seems to me that they should find finale songs that fit each contestant's style of singing.

While the winning song was perfectly suited for Jordin (and she belted it out!), poor Blake was having to struggle to sing this ballad...not because he isn't incredibly talented, but because it was not his style of song at all. For their final performance I found this quite unfair.

This "singing competition" may need to be tweaked a little next season to allow for the great variety of singing genres. To me, it seems as if each contestant should be allowed to sing the songs that will showcase their particular voice and style of singing. Forcing a country singer to belt out a rock song or having a ballad singer do B-bop doesn't really prove anything to me. If and when these individual's have their chance at making CD's....I am sure that they will stick to their unique style...so why not make this competition more realistic?

Does anyone else agree?

No comments: