Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Red- bellied Sunsoaker

I should have nagged him more.

I should have disregarded "that look" (you know the one!) on his face when I said, "Sweetie, you might want to put some sunscreen on...you look like you are getting burnt."

But, I realized that Dave is a big boy and he will know what is best. So, I didn't say anything more.

Ooops.

Driving back home on Sunday, Dave was in obvious discomfort as his body was glowing in a bright shade of scarlet RED..... ouch.

It even hurt where his waistband on his shorts touched his lower belly as he was sitting and driving. It hurt me just to look at this painfully red belly.

Being a golfer, Dave has the typical tan lower arms and legs in the summertime...but is lilly white everywhere else....well, not anymore... as he now had bright red areas to fill in where there was white before.

I wanted to say, "I told you so!"...but, being the sweet and demure woman that I am (!), I held it all in and actually found myself feeling sorry for him.

When we got to my house, I rubbed his burnt belly with some aloe moisturizer several times and placed a cool, wet towel over the whole area. His skin was so hot and tender...so I also had him take some Advil to relieve some of the pain. I must say that by the next morning, my nursing efforts helped tremendously as he was feeling much better. He called it "miraculous"...I just called it genius on my part. ha ha

Now, I, on the other hand, slathered on my sunscreen before stepping out of the condo....and then I spent most of the time relaxing under the umbrella especially when the sun was the strongest. I got just enough color to prove that I had actually been to the beach...but, no burnt areas!

Now I know why women are the smarter sex....and why we live longer than men... : )

1 comment:

Jana said...

Another excellent burn easer is vinegar. Ok, it smells BAD, but it works great to cut the heat...should anyone burn their belly again in the future. It's very nice of you to administer first aid without an I.T.Y.S.!!
What a beautiful trip and great beach too! Congrats to your son and his wife on their anniversary.