Friday, June 22, 2007

"Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to....."

38% of the state of Alabama is in the "exceptional drought stage", including my city, Birmingham.

The stages are: "abnormally dry, moderate drought, severe drought, extreme drought, and exceptional drought".

While we have some city-wide mandatory restrictions such as hand watering (no sprinklers! ) lawns only on Tuesday and Friday(for even numbered houses) between the hours of 4 a.m. and 9 a.m., I have imposed my own water saving rules.

Suddenly, I am much more cognizant of my personal water usage.

Today, while waiting for the cold water to turn hot enough to wash dishes in, I filled a large container with the water and moistened some potted flowers outside. I plan to do the same thing when I take my shower. Why let perfectly good water go down the drain? I waited until the dishwasher was bursting at the seams with items before running it this morning and, I turned the water off while brushing my teeth.

It is amazing how much we take having water available for granted now that it's use is being restricted.

At times I feel like the "water police"...I find myself getting a little upset when I pass by a home with a lush green, obviously, heavily watered lawn. I actually feel a bit of pride having a semi-dried out, crispy lawn at my house. I guess that barely keeping my landscaping alive sends out the message that I am being a good citizen.

Any person found violating the sanctions imposed can be fined $500. or serve up to 180 days in jail. I can just see the conversation going on between inmates at the local prison:

"So, what are you in for?"

"Watering my lawn, and you?". : 0

We are all collectively praying for some drenching rain to come our way. Unfortunately, the weather forecasters don't see it happening anytime soon.

As our temperatures start climbing into the 90's these lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...one can almost hear the plants drying up.

Anyone know a good rain dance?

2 comments:

Gattina said...

It's quite a long time I haven't been visiting you ! I wished I could send you our rain, here it's raining all the time, summer, winter whenever you want. If it doesn't rain for 2 weeks they speak of getting short in water, lol! Little Owen has changed a lot he is becoming a little boy !
We have a new kitten since 10 days a sweet little Rosie (she is on my cat blog)

L. said...

Welcome back, Gattina....! You are lucky not to be facing these drought conditions where you are.

I will check out your new little Rosie right now! : )