Monday, July 09, 2007

Today was one of those fun days.

You know, annual check-up, blood work, mammogram, and bone density test. *groan*

The first order of business was discussing my hot flashes with my internist. She's young, she listened, she smiled, and she sympathetically gave me some samples of some "estrogel" which is basically a foam (!) that I am to rub on my arms once a day. The fun continues...

Bone density was next. This is where you lie still while a machine hovers over your spine and hips checking out the thickness of your bones. As I lie there on my back I thought how nice it would be if they would put something clever on the ceiling that we could read during this test. The technician didn't seem amused with my idea.

From there it was on to the ever joyful mammogram. What can a woman say about this lovely test where your bosoms are basically flattened between two pieces of heavy duty laminate?

First they send you to this little room to remove your upper clothing and to put on this humongous robe of sorts that, of course, opens in the front. They also leave you with instructions to use the available "wipees" to remove all traces of your deodorant. One has to wonder how that will be running errands after the testing is done????

One picture isn't enough, of course....they need to take four different shots. The funniest part to me is how I feel that I must make small talk with the nurse who is doing this delightful thing to my upper body."So, how are you doing?" I ask. "Have you smashed a lot of breasts today?" and other idle chit chat just to make the time go by quickly.

Well, with all of this behind me, I will await the results in the next few days. In the meantime, I have some foam to spread all over my arms...

What could be more fun than this?? : 0

3 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

I'm still a big proponent of digital mammography.

L. said...

I agree...and that is what they do where I go...

: )

Jana said...

Well, you left out the most fun, the PAP test!! nothing like a cold speculum and stirrups to wind up a day!! Hope your tests all came out well? I think its a great idea to have something to read up on the ceiling. My dentist has posters with 100 things I like about golf, or one about 100 things I learned from my cat.. such cute stuff, hard to stop snarfing around the dental tools while reading!! =-).