Friday, July 20, 2007

Say it "ain't" so.....

When I occasionally escape from my "dungeon" (pottery studio) and get out in the real world, there is one thing that always gets to me: cell phone users.

We have become a world of zombie-like people walking around looking like we are talking to ourselves. No matter where one goes, there is no escaping from this popular modern day telephone.

I can't even tell you how many times I have said: "Pardon me?" to a person who seemingly was trying to talk to me...only to find out that they were conversing with someone at the other end of their cell phone.

I often wonder how we lived before? I mean, I am old enough to remember putting a dime (then a quarter years later) into a pay phone while breaking my fingernails trying to dial a number on the old phones. You know the ones....where you stick your finger tip into the appropriate cut out hole and pull it all the way around. And even then we would sometimes get a busy signal and our money would clink down into the change place. We would actually have to try again later. And, messages? No way! You actually had to reach the intended recipient of your call or keep attempting to reach them. (Young people everywhere are reading this and saying: "Huh?"....Of course, who am I kidding, I probably don't have any young readers?!)

Anyway, I have always gotten pretty aggravated with these cell phone robots....

that is

until....

I got my new phone....

...and it came with a blue tooth feature.

Before I knew it, the Verizon salesman had produced a whole "package" for me that included the dreaded blue tooth headset, phone holster and car charger. All I had to do was sign on the dotted line and renew my vows to stay a Verizon customer for at least two more years! You all know the drill...

It took me a while to get used to having this little blue tooth headset stuck in my ear...so I just used it sporadically around the house...especially while chatting and doing my pottery. It was great...but, I still wasn't about to go outside of the house with that "thing" stuck in my ear all of the time. That is, until today.

As I ran my errands it was actually very helpful to have the blue tooth capability without having to search crazily through my purse for the ringing cell phone. All I have to do now is press the little button on the headset and voila...the caller is in my ear.

OH NO!

As I glanced at my reflection in the clothing store today....

I realized that...I couldn't help myself...

I had now become one of THEM. : O

4 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Grammie, I have become one of "them" also. and guess what I bought my grandson (the 21 year old) for his birthday? an iphone. He thinks he is a "cool kid" with that thing. It's like having a little computer in your pocket. Maybe someday when the price comes down, I will be the owner of one of those amazing contraptions!!! LOL

Bert Bananas said...

Welcome to the 21st Century.

You never had to pick up your house phone and tell the operator what number you wanted to be connected to? What're you, a kid?

L. said...

Welcome to the club, Clara! : )

And, Bertsky, you know that I am MUCH younger than you are!

Jana said...

NO, No, NO!!!! Not me!! I won't have a cell phone, I won't I won't!! I saw a 70'ish grandma type in the grocery the other day with one of those things attached to her ear. I wondered how a person dials on of those, but figured you still have to rummage through your purse or in one of those hip packets I see people wearing nowadays. I remember the dialing phones, the 10C pay phones, days before answering machines. One of my clients tried to GIVE me a cell phone, and then asked why when I said no thanks!! Because, was my wry reply, people can get ahold of me if I have one of these!! I prefer to have some time where I can shop, eat, go to the ladies, in peace without having to TALK to someone!!!
Everywhere I go now I see signs asking people to turn off their cell phones or end their conversations before they come up to the counter - or go into the doctors office!!! GEEZZILLY Christmas! I remember when it was considered R U D E for a man to keep on his hat in public!! Ahhh those byegone days are gone!! sigh.