Tuesday, August 28, 2007

September 1, 2006

As hours old Owen's tiny hand grasped my son, Adam's finger, the whole meaning of all of this came to light.

This connection is the real meaning of the circle of life.

Even though many births occur every day....when it happens in your family, there aren't words to truly describe the feeling.

Watching my first born son hold his new son brought tears to my eyes. It was a feeling of completion unlike anything that I have ever experienced before.

My mind raced back to a time thirty-three years ago as a very nervous 26 year old headed to the hospital in anticipation of giving birth.

I can still remember so many details of that day...the monitors which allowed us to hear the baby's heartbeat as well as letting me know that contractions were starting. (Like I needed a monitor to tell me that!)

Back then we didn't know in advance what the baby's sex was (we did the nursery in yellow to be safe!) so the announcement that "It's a boy!" was so exciting.

As we counted the fingers and toes, we cried tears of joy as we held our new son, Adam.

What a miraculous moment.

It was just as miraculous watching Adam hold his first child, a son, Owen.

The family tree just grew another branch...

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Teary-eyed.

Jana said...

A HAPPY Birthday to Owen and congrats to the happy parents from Nanny Jana in Washington. I've been spending a bunch of time with grandygirl Fay. She's changed and grown so much. She's talking a lot too - getting words out and sentences, voicing her thoughts - what a miracle indeed.
Safe trip Grammie and I'll look forward to those darling pictures of Owen's little hands in his first Birthday cake!!