Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ya gotta laugh when the rooster crows.....

"Our five senses are incomplete without the sixth - a sense of humor." Anonymous

Sometimes laughter is definitely the best medicine for what ails us.

Such was the case this morning as I talked with my mom on the phone.

As she gets ready to turn 85 this year, she is noticing that her mind is not as sharp as it once was. (To me, she is sharp as a tack, in that she seems to remember things so much better than I do and she still completes a crossword puzzle every day.)

So, while we are talking, I am outside rationing out a dribble of water onto my dying shrubs and plants and I come upon her favorite plant but I can't think of the name of the flower.

Neither can she.

I begin to go through the alphabet saying names of flowers A-Z. We are hysterically laughing.

When I got to "H", I was thinking that it might start with that but all I could think of was Hyacinth and that wasn't it.

While we are talking, she summons my dad to get the other phone and call my Aunt Ruthie in New Jersey in that this particular flower abounds there.

"HYDRANGEA" he exclaims and my aunt concurs.

Problem solved.

Now, suddenly mom starts to laugh and says: "Oh, there goes the rooster again! It must be 11:16."

Before I could get too concerned, she explains.

Because of mom's macular degeneration, my sister's and I purchased her a watch that can say the time out loud for you when you press the button. For some reason, a little rooster alarm is set to go off at 11:16 a.m. every day and she cannot turn that setting off.

Thus, the reason for the rooster crowing this morning.

Again, laughter.

Mom is also feeling like her hearing is going so we both began to chuckle as we tried to find some humor in her plight. Yesterday, she was hearing a musical sound in one ear as well as echos.

"Was it Broadway music at least?" I asked, hoping that it was something enjoyable.

"Oh no," she laughed, "more like just a loud and annoying sound."

She feels that one by one she is losing her senses (pun intended!)

I can't argue with her on that one.

And..........

I think that it might be hereditary. : )

Thanks for the laughs, Mom.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

A sense of humor is wonderful, isn't it. Three years ago I had a knee replacement, and when I was in rehab, I was amazed at the folks who were much older than I who were going through all that rigorous exercise to be able to stay mobile. They had such great attitudes.

I love the rooster. One of these days I'm afraid I'm going to need a watch like that, not too soon, I hope, My fear is losing my sight and my hearing both. One is bad enough, but both. I'll really have to pray for grace.

How long until you leave for the birthday?

L. said...

Hi Beverly....thanks for visiting.
: ) I am leaving a week from today....and I am counting the minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xoxo