Thursday, September 20, 2007

A night of angst and angels....

Well, I am back from Delaware filled with a lot of sadness over the loss of Kaye, Dave's beloved sister.

The deep emotions from that experience itself will be a future post when I am able to get my thoughts together....but, first I must write about last night.

I flew back to Birmingham in the late afternoon, while Dave decided to take a later flight last night. That afforded him a little more private time to say his good-byes before heading home.

Around nine o'clock that night I headed to the airport to pick him up. Driving along the very busy highway, I heard a loud noise like something had hit the back of my car. Moments later, as the car began to make a loud vibrating noise, I surmised that I had a flat tire and better get off to the side of the road as quickly as possible.

I pulled off to the small area along a guard rail and tried to catch my breath as the cars were whizzing by my at high speeds. They seemed so close to the car that it shook every time a car or truck went by... It was frightening!

Realizing that I was pretty helpless just sitting in my car, I called Dave on my cell phone as he was awaiting my arrival at the airport. I know that he was more than ready to be picked up after his long, emotional trip home.

The cars were coming so close to me on the driver's side and the passenger side was as close to the guard rail as I could get it...so I was pretty much trapped in the car alone on the side of the dark highway.

As Dave and I spoke, I suddenly spotted yellow flashing lights on a big truck in my rear view mirror. I could see a figure sitting in the driver's seat but couldn't make out a face.

My mind suddenly thought about the shows where a seemingly good Samaritan looks like they are going to help you and then end up abducting you.

(I know, I know, I am watching way too much television!) : O

After a few minutes (that felt like hours), I got up the nerve to try and get out of my car to see if he could be of some help. When there was a temporary lull in the rushing traffic, I quickly opened the door, got out on the road, and tapped on his window on the passenger side of the truck.

He was sitting there jotting down information on a clipboard and stopped to roll down the window as I pathetically said, "I have a flat tire and I don't know what to do...".

This big, brawny man gave me a toothy smile and said not to worry...that was why he was there.

This "angel" of a man was with the Alabama Service Assistance Patrol...an emergency response unit within the Alabama Department of Public Safety. He was actually on his way home when he spotted me along the road.

Putting himself in danger, he calmly pulled off my old tire as the cars were so close by that his bright colored vest rippled each time they went by. The tire had a huge gash in it, probably from a stray piece of metal that must have been on the road. He put my spare tire on for me, all the while trying to gently talk to me over the loud commotion of the cars going by.

As he tightened the last bolt on the spare, I began to ask him how I should pay him. He said that there wasn't any charge; that this was a free service. I said then at least let me give you a tip for your time...but, he said that he was not allowed to take that either.

Exasperated, and so full of gratitude, I said, "Are you allowed to get a big hug?".

He laughed and said, "That I can collect..."

As I hugged this big, gentle giant of a man, I tried to see if I could feel any wings under that vest...

...Later on that evening as I was retelling the story to Dave and how incredible it was that this wonderful man arrived to help me, he looked at me and said in a soft voice, "Maybe my sister, Kaye had something to do with it..."

7 comments:

GClef1970 said...

I definitely believe that!! I had a Highway to Heaven experience many, many years ago. I tried to send a "thank you" letter to the man in care of the McAdoo PA Public Safety Department (I was a long way from home all by myself!) and it was returned "addressee unknown".

Moobear said...

I am glad you both are home safely Grammie. I am with Dave on this one. Guardian angels abound and no doubt you were being watched over. Hope you and Dave get some rest and my thoughts and prayers are still going your way. Take good care Grammie and I know you will take care of Dave.

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of prayers & hugs to you and Dave.

Paulette

Beverly said...

I'm so glad you're back, and that you are both safe. He does watch over us, doesn't He?

Susie said...

Beautiful story. So glad a scary experience turned out so well..

Jana said...

Always someone out there watching over us, and I'm thankful every single time I've been saved. Glad you and Dave made it home safe and sound.

Princess said...

Like Dave, I think that was Kaye that helped you on that busy highway. I am very sorry for your loss, Dave and Grammie.
With prayers,
Princess