Thursday, September 13, 2007

Refections on my birthday...

"True wisdom lies in gathering precious moments out of each day..."
I am 59 year's old today.

gulp.

One more year of being in my 50's before celebrating the big 6-0 !

How can that be?

As I appreciatively open each birthday card that I have received, I laugh at the similar theme that seems to run through each and every one of them: "getting older" and all that comes with it. This is where having a good sense of humor comes in very handy... : )

In the meantime, my birthday this year falls on Rosh Hashonah, which marks the beginning of the High Holidays... a period of reflection and introspection in the Jewish faith.

It is the Jewish New Year and will end on the 21st as we observe Yom Kippur, the holiest of days. It is a time of soul searching as we ask forgiveness for our sins of the past year.

Between that and the sad situation with Dave's sister fight to stay alive, it is a bit difficult for me to feel very celebratory today.

However, since it is a day commemorating the date of my birth, I have decided to take the time to count my many blessings and to celebrate the gifts that I have been given in my life.

With all of its ups and downs (!!), I have had a very good 59 years filled with incredible family, friends, and joys too much to measure.

For that and so much more, I am extremely grateful and thankful...

6 comments:

Linda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I am also 59 and have mourned the entire year. My BIG 60 is coming up very very soon.

I've bookmarked you and will be back. It's nice meeting women with similar interests.

Have a wonderful day.

Susie said...

Happy Birthday!
My 59th is coming up next month!
Hope your day is special in every way.
:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Mine is next month, don't even want to go there (birth certificate says I will be 64, but I absolutely do not believe it!). Where do the years go? Like you, I have a wonderful family & friends that fill my life with love and joy.
Paulette

Beverly said...

Happy birthday! I'm just now seeing your blog today. I love those Pickles cartoons...still far enough away to be funny, although sometimes they hit close to home.

My birthday is September 19. I'll be 66. I can't believe where this year is gone.

May your holy days be what you need them to be for you this year.

L. said...

Linda, Susie, Paulette, and Beverly,

Thank you, thank you, for your birthday wishes!!!!

xoxo
59 year old Grammie (!)

Jana said...

I was at the beach for your birthday, couldn't think of any nicer way to celebrate it than hiking and picking blackberries and enjoying God's great gift of the sea. I hope you had an excellent time and reflected yourself into a great mood!!