Saturday, October 27, 2007

My "Address Book of Life"

Scrolling through my address book today I came to a realization.

This book represents so much of what goes on in one's life...a microcosm of sorts.

In a strange way, it tells me where I have been and gives clues as to where I am going.

Each page holds the names, addresses, and phone numbers of those who have been/are a significant part of my life. So many of the names hold stories of my past and I smile as I read through some of them. I have sadly lost touch with many of the people listed through the years. I guess that I leave them in there..."just in case".

I also feel a sense of loss as I see so many names of people who have passed away through the years...I do not want to "x" them out. I like to hold their memory on these pages. It is almost as though they are still around if I don't remove them from "the book".

There are little scraps of paper tucked into the well-worn pages. Some return- address labels have been scotch taped in. These hold new addresses of people who have come into my life more recently. I haven't made the time to put them in permanently, but I will....eventually.

There are also scratched out names for the people who have moved...and their new addresses are printed on other pages. Some people have remained at the same address for over 20 years or more....some have moved several times in that same amount of time...I have their history right before me.

There are couples who are no longer "Mr. and Mrs."and now appear as separate listings....there are children that have grown up enough to have their own addresses listed in my book...I notice that I have many "notes" written throughout with a little extra information that I don't want to forget such as my relationship with that particular unfamiliar person...justifying my having them as part of "my book".

As I look over this old, outdated address book I keep thinking that one day I will need to purchase a brand new address book and fill it only with the most current info and names. It will be shiny and neat and updated. The newer books even have places provided for email addresses and cell phone numbers. I know that it could be a lot more organized if I did that....and I will....

Someday....but not yet.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Your post is so true. I have found the same thing.