Thursday, November 08, 2007

"Home...where our feet may leave, but never our hearts..."

Tomorrow morning I will be heading "home" to Florida to be with my family and to celebrate Mom's 85th birthday.

It is interesting how, no matter where--or how many times-- we move in our lives, we always designate certain places as "home". I haven't lived in S. Florida since leaving for college *gasp* 41 years ago....but, it is still my "home" and always will be.

So, as I head "home" to sunny Florida, I need to move my Fall clothing aside and bring out some of my lighter weight summer clothes that have already been put away. While we are having a cold spell here in Alabama, it is still in the low 80's down there. A "cold spell" in South Florida is when they get into the high 60's...the heat goes on in the houses there....and coats are brought out of storage! It is hysterical.

I know, I grew up with that...

It is probably as laughable to real Northerners who smirk when we get a little snow (rarely) down here in the South. Everything shuts down...and people frantically flock to the store to purchase copious amounts of food, especially milk and bread.

I never did understand that.

For me, that trip to the grocery store prior to the "snow forecast" means stocking up on necessities like chocolate and other junk food.

Who needs milk and bread when you have a bag of M and M's handy?

Well, enough about this....I must get going and begin to pack before the day gets by me.

I will return late Tuesday night filled with pictures and stories....

I promise.

: )

2 comments:

Princess said...

Happy birthday to your mom, grammie. Yes, "home" is always where your heart will be. I believe that too.
Safe trip.

Beverly said...

Have a good time with your mother. A lot of people have written about home lately. We do always go back, if not physically, in our memories.

Looking forward to your photos and thoughts.