Friday, February 22, 2008

Fresh Sprouted Green Peas

As Dave and I sat down to eat last night, I watched him as he looked over the little salad that I had prepared to go with our spinach and feta cheese frozen organic pizza. The salad was mainly romaine, radishes, and a few little sprouted green peas sprinkled on the top.

He looked at me with a grin on his face and said: "Whole Foods?".

I had to laugh because I had been there that day...and, I did bring home a variety of out-of-the- ordinary foods...including the freshly sprouted peas...They were just so cute I couldn't resist.

I don't go to Whole Foods that often in that the prices are so high there...but, when I do go...it is quite an event.

I suddenly find myself mesmerized by 300 different types of olive oil...as well as a large enough variety of couscous to please any palate. And, all of the vegetables seem to beckon me to take them home and try them...some of which I haven't ever heard of before. But, they all look so fresh and colorful and appetizing....until I get home and realize that I haven't the foggiest idea how to prepare these delicacies.

Thus, the reason that I put the little raw peas on our salads last night.

Tonight I have prepared a big pot of organic lentil and barley soup with sundried tomatoes and pasta cooked in a free-range chicken broth...

I can't wait to see Dave's face tonight...

This may actually be a good way to encourage him to take me out to dinner tomorrow night... : )

1 comment:

Jana said...

I get that same "OH GOSh that stuff is expensive" about buying organic. I reply: "I'm WORTH IT!", and it stops further comment. GOOD for you for trying organic and "whole foods". We don't have a WF here, but have an couple of excellent organic shops and its almost time for the farmers market with some top notch organic farmers in there! I'm chomping already!! YUMMAY!!! Once you get the TASTE of organically grown healthy unfertilized unchemically treated food, and you can taste the food, you'll be surprised just how much you enjoy it!