Monday, February 25, 2008

My New Boyfriend

I had actually forgotten about this...until I watched the Oscar's last night where "my new boyfriend" was giving out an award.... : ) Here's the story from a couple of weeks ago:

Travel weary....as I headed home from Minnesota...and having just made the decision to head down to Florida the next day to be with my family after Dad's surgery...I did have a very special thing happen at the Birmingham airport.

I had noticed people staring at and going up to a gentleman sitting in the Atlanta airport during our layover there. His back was to me...so, I didn't know who it was. My thinking was that it was possibly an athlete or public official?

As the plane boarded I got a better look at this man...and realized that it was Forest Whitaker, the Academy Award winning actor whom I adored!

Quite starstruck, I told him what an honor it was to be on the same plane with him as I passed him by in the first class section.

As we landed in Bham and I headed for the luggage pick up area, I saw Mr. Whitaker approaching me from behind.

Not to let this moment pass me by, I began to engage in conversation with him.

What a delightful man! One wouldn't even know that he was a famous actor as he candidly spoke to me about why he was in Birmingham (to speak for Obama)...

We walked all the way to the baggage area together, continuing our conversation while awaiting our luggage. He was only going to be in our fair city for the evening before heading on to another stop...so I began to tell him some things about Birmingham. At this point, other passengers were beginning to watch us, probably wondering who this lady was engaged in conversation with this famous star.

(OK, the truth is that they were probably just staring at him...but, a girl can dream, right?)

I decided that no one would believe me unless I had proof of this encounter....so, I summoned up enough courage to ask him if he would pose in a picture with me. I apologized profusely for the intrusion...but, he graciously accepted my request and the proof is below.

He looks great in the photo...but, like I stated in the beginning...I was pretty weary looking at this point in the day.

I have a new appreciation for this wonderfully talented, and kind, man.

Thanks, Forest!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

That is just way too cool.

Anonymous said...

Aww, how fun! And how brave you were!
Stella