Friday, April 18, 2008

Home Sweet Nest

Mid pleasures and palaces, though we may roam,

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. John Howard Payne

As one approaches my front door, there is a hanging planter filled with trailing ivy as well as a few Spring flowers that I fill it with every year.

But, there won't be any flowers this year.

A family of birds from my neighborhood decided to make their nest at my front door...carefully placing pine straw and other bits and pieces of nature into a lovely swirling nest.

I have looked inside--no eggs yet--it could be that the nest is still in under construction--but, I dare not touch this new little home until long after the new family has hatched and flown away.

This little ritual calls on all of my maternal instincts and gives me a sense of peace to know that I will have a new little "family" sharing my space.

I guess that the real estate market isn't quite as bad for the birds as it is for the rest of us...!

No comments: