Sunday, May 18, 2008

Confessions of a Reality Show Addict

I can't help it.

I love them all.

From Survivor to American Idol to The Bachelor to Top Chef to America's Next Top Model to The Millionaire Matchmaker to Dancing With The Stars to Project Runway to Workout and, yes, even Hell's Kitchen...even though I can't stand to hear Chef Ramsey scream profanities at the contestants.

But, even that doesn't stop me from tuning in.

What can I say? I'm addicted.

I do sometimes wonder how much of these programs is real...and, how much is staged. Some of the people seem to be quite "out there" and/or looking for their ten minutes of fame.

That's the strange part to all of these shows...the actors? people really do become celebrities of a sort. It is crazy when you think about it.

I am sure that much of the show is "scripted" and tweaked to make it seem more dramatic. Little disagreements become bigger than life...as everyone likes to watch a good fight I guess.

For me, it is just 30-60 minutes of pure trite, non-thinking time.

....kind of an escape of sorts from my own realities!?

I guess that as far as addictions go...it is a pretty safe one. It's legal, it's non-fattening, it won't raise my cholesterol numbers, I can drive immediately after watching one...and, I haven't heard of Reality Show Rehab yet, have you?

: )

No comments: