Sunday, June 01, 2008

Florida so far...

As I stood in the line to go through security at the airport yesterday, I had a whirlwind of emotions.

The first one was the fact that I was even getting ready to board an airplane. I thought back to several years ago when my fear of flying pretty much paralyzed me and kept me from so many life experiences.

One bad flight after coming back from a family reunion in New Jersey and I found that getting back on a plane was the last thing that I wanted to do.

The more time that passed, the more difficult it became until I finally was determined to get to my destination in any way possible....but not by plane. That was a very difficult period in my life and it brings about a great sadness to me.

I remember sitting in a little berth by myself on a train heading from Birmingham to New York many years ago to join in a family celebration of my mom's birthday. It took two long days to get there...and, it was pretty lonely and miserable...but, I was determined to be with the rest of the family for this event. The only thing worse than getting to New York on the train...was the trip back home to Birmingham after the event...

But, here I was, years later, getting ready to fly down to Florida to help Mom move into her new condo. I had to smile to myself as I felt a sense of pride in how far I had come. And, I did it on my own...I just got to the point about 11 years ago when I said, "no more"...and got back on a plane.

Since that day I have never turned back...and with each flight I get more and more comfortable.

And, so my journey to Florida began...

No comments: