Friday, June 27, 2008

Late night love

I am "in charge" of the late night feedings.

The other grandma was the middle of the night person...(thank heavens for her)..but she has headed back home now... : (

...and Jenny is on the "all day and night" shift!

Adam does what he can first thing in the morning as he and Owen prepare for their days...Adam heads to work and takes Owen to his daycare. He also takes part in the evening shifts.

He and Jenny are wonderful parents...and I am amazed at how well they are handling having two.

Like they say, "it takes a village"...that couldn't be more true!

[Another strong case for having our children while we are quite young.]

So, last night I had little Audrey in my arms around 1 A.M. as I prepared to give her a supplement bottle of her mom's pumped milk.

But, she had other ideas.

She decided that she would rather sleep.

Since Adam and Jenny are trying to get her on a schedule I knew that this feeding was important.

I was pretty bleary-eyed as I held this precious bundle in my arms and "pleaded" with her to drink...but, she wasn't going to have any of it.

I tried all of the "tricks" that I had remembered from when my boys were babies...tapping the bottom of her feet...talking to her...singing to her (my singing could put anyone to sleep!)...etc. etc. All to no avail.

Finally, she finished the bottle and I changed her, burped her and put her back down in the crib to go to sleep.

But, she had other ideas about going to sleep, too..... : O

Some day I will tell Audrey all about that night when I held her in my arms and tried to get her to drink her bottle so that her tired Grammie could get to sleep...

But, for now I will just enjoy my "late night love" with sweet Audrey...bleary-eyed and all...

2 comments:

JeanMac said...

bleary-eyed and exhausted kinds of sums it up - it's wonderful to have help.

Beverly said...

You're bleary-eyed; I'm teary-eyed reading your post.