Saturday, July 12, 2008

Temporary Insanity?

Getting ready for a garage sale is multi-faceted.

Once you have committed to doing it, you are thrown into a whirlwind preparing for it.

Suddenly, everything has the potential of being sold...and, I mean everything.

Every time that I open a cabinet, drawer, or closet, my mind goes into garage sale mentality.

"I mean, do I really need this?" I query as I begin to see dollar signs everywhere.

Making the decision whether to hang on to an item for another 30 yrs.--- vs. putting it out there for the public to possibly purchase--- can be quite daunting.

"Well, you never know when this huge silver plated ornate champagne bucket will come in handy..." or "Maybe we will fondue again some day..."...and, "What about this key lime margarita kit?..that would make a tasty summer drink".

...and what if I decide to read through some of my old books like: "Eat Fat...Be Healthy" and "How to Date Like a Man"? These are some very important decisions!

My girlfriend, Sharon, who is doing this sale with me has really gone over the top. She can make anything fun...even a garage sale. She is finding "treasures" in her house as she scans for sellable items...things that she had forgotten about for years. She was so hyped up after going through her house yesterday that she had trouble sleeping last night.

She found herself feeling really crazy when she was in Pier One yesterday....looking at their bargain items and thinking to herself..."Hmmm, I could buy these $3 items and resell them at the garage sale for $4." yikes....

Then when we took a walk together this morning...we actually considered picking up an old, dirty rug that someone had thrown out for the garbage men to pick up.... and selling it at our sale....

But, we came to our senses (temporarily) and said "Nah.." as we walked on by....

...hysterically laughing!

No comments: