Saturday, August 23, 2008

I have a new love in my life and it is all Dave's fault................hummingbird watching..!!!

He has been a hummingbird aficionado for many years as he has a feeder right outside of his kitchen window where he can view their comings and goings as he sits and eats.

He has his "regulars" that come back year after year to enjoy the sweet sugar water nectar.

I started with one "artsy" feeder that I purchased years ago from an art show. It is basically a fancy clear bottle turned upside down with a piece of red glass at the end where the syrup comes out. I think that I spotted one hummingbird on one occasion in all of the years that I had it hanging outside.

He convinced me to puchase an inexpensive plastic feeder at Home Depot....fill it up with the sugar water (4 parts water to 1 part sugar--add sugar to the boiled water---let cool)...place it at my sunroom window...and wait.

So, I did.

The results have been amazing. I now have three hummingbirds that frequent my feeder all the time. They are so much fun to watch as they hover about with those tiny wings flittering about. I captured one of them at the feeder the other day and took the above video.

I have learned that these tiny, delicate creatures are quite territorial and will fight for their spot on the feeder. When I see them "fighting" with each other, I get upset and want to shout: "Can't we all just get along?!".

Dave says that I should get them to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya, my Lord" and see if that helps....

I think that he was making fun of my peaceful nature...don't you? : )

1 comment:

JeanMac said...

Gotta love a man with a sense of humor!